Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axie mummy

Franklin Price

Reaction score
Hello!

I yesterday adopted a lovely 8 month Axie and the 'birth' father as it were directed me towards your site. He will be soon leaving the country and although by the power of interweb I can ask him any question under the sun. I don't want to bug him incessently and see this first query as a way to make myself aquainted with all you guys here at Caudata Org.

The move went suprising smoothly and the little man was out stalking around his tank last night, pink gills held high so I'm very pleased. :)

Of course moving all the water and contents of the tank has rucked up debri. Have tested water which is fine, temp is great but some tiny bits hanging around in the sand. I've sucked up the larger bits with the mandatory baster but is there a way to get the smaller bits without sucking up the entire water contents of the tank or as it's just little specks here and there should I leave it? Don't want to cause more harm than good if you see what I mean and not sure if I'm being over cautious etc.

Birth father said I should do more frequent water changes and test the water for the next few days to make sure all is well. The debri is just tiny blackish speckles dotted about...if someone could give me a little confidence boost that would be great. As a new mummy I'm a little nervy and want to make sure I get everything right from the get go. He has been looked after so well and I want to continue doing so!

Franklin Price

Reaction score
Hey guys! Answered my own question now I think by talking to a friend who has kept fish but any further tips for axies in particular please do let me know!

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Franklin,

As you have probably found out, it is good to remove as much of the waste as possible. that having been said the tanks biologigical filter needs some waste to do its thing and keep the tank healthy.

And Welcome to the site.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1