Weird Behavior?

Markw

Reaction score
Country
United States
I walk in the room to check on the axies quite frequently throughout the day, and the past week or so, ive been noticing my gold and wildtype sitting under the filter. Theyve never sat there before, and the flow is a little stronger there, so I thought this a little weird that they would like to chill under the water flow if theyre not supposed to like water flow. They sit there for about a half hour (or so..maybe a little less) when they do, but otherwise, they seem healthy. They eat like pigs. Actually, Ive owned a potbelly pig. They eat more than pigs and are a bit sloppier when thy do so. :lol:

Thanks.
Mark

Hi Mark

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest, a lot of axies seem to quite like a bit of water flow now and then - mine will swim up to the spray bar in his tank every so often - and, if you have a look at this thread:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61587

you will see one of Julia's axies lounging over an airstone. I think that whilst on the whole, axies like there to be minimal water flow, ever now and then, some want a change :D

Zoe x

Alright, incase it was a reason for worry, I checked the water parameters again. They check out as follows:

Ammonia: about .10 ppm (the poo from last nights eating was still left in there.)
Nitrate: .50 ppm (I hear 40-60 is acceptable)
Nitrite: 0 ppm
pH: 7.2 - 7.4 as its always been.

Thanks.
Mark

Mark, good on you for doing the right thing and checking your water chemistry anyway!

I agree with Aa, some axies do seem to enjoy a bit of flow now and then. Unless you see the infamous little "cup" form at their tail tips, I would not worry at all about it.

My now deceased and much missed big breeder male spent a good 12 hours a day on top of the java moss wad with the air stone hidden in it in his tank. Tons of bubbles flowing right up and over his midsection. I suspect even an axolotl likes a good "belly rub" .;)

Last edited:
My axolotls seemed to like it under the pump aswell, it turned out just to be lack of other hiding places. The pump was positioned in the corner and a big stone was placed infron it it. So that created a "hiding spot" for them.

So... if you feel that it's boring to see them at the same place then just build more hiding spots

No, not at all. I dont mind them being there, I just didnt want something to be wrong. I did a water change and took the poo from the tank along with about a gallon of water to put in their new 55gal to aid in the tank's cycle. That has nothing to do with the subject, but Im so excited to get the tank up and going for these guys!

Mark

Hi Mark,

I agree with all that has been said. One of my axies seems to defy all the general rules for axolotl behaviour and has not so far (touch wood) suffered any harm, he just seems way more adventurous then the others. It took me a long time and a good deal of worry before I realised he is just different.

Good Luck with the new tank

Agrred ... Mine loves the flow, He actually swims directly against the flow right at the pump outlet, like its a lap pool.... Its funny.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back