Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma gracile won't eat...

Skyfall

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Where I work we have 5 of these little guys, but one just will not eat. I've tried so many different foods, I will be trying phoenix worms here in the near future, but he just noses up everything. The other 4 in the tank eat GREAT! I think they would explode before they stopped eatting :D

I feel really bad for him and am not sure what to do or what to look for... any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If the animal looks healthy and has a god weight, don´t panic, it might be a temporary thing, it happens.
If you think there might be a risk with it´s health, try to keep it cool, dark, and undisturbed, that will help making it receptive to food.

jbherpin

Reaction score
You may want to isolate the individual to remove predatory competition as well. Sometimes when an animal has become submissive to more dominant individuals it won't eat until the rest are done. This results in no food left over sometimes.

-jbherpin-

Skyfall

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
The main reason I'm so worried is it has been a WHILE since he has eatten.
I'll try moving him to his own little tank, cross my fingers and hope for the best... :eek:

Skyfall

Reaction score
I moved him to his own little tank and he immediatly started snapping at the cricket I left for him. I am going to try tong feeding him today as well.

Thanks again!

jbherpin

Reaction score
What was the result, I was wondering about this the other day....?

-jbherpin-

Last edited:

Skyfall

Reaction score
Everyone is back in the same tank and everyone is eating very well!
Thanks again for all the help :)
I'm hoping to upgrade their tank soon too!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!