Question: Fire Belly escape

stanleyc

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my fire bellies escaped last night, because I forgot to close the lid before I left last night, I didn't think I would stay out all night. =( How long can he live without moisture, would he have dried out by now? It's almost been 24 hours since I left last night.

Been looking all day since i got bak this morning, any tips on wear to find escapees?

Since I haven't named this one yet, I'm naming him Houdini if I find him alive.

Thanks so much, back to looking

I don't know how long they will survive, but is the air is moist s/he should survive for a while.
A wet towel on the floor can lure him.

Keep an eye out for the newt in the darkest, coolest area of your house. Hopefully it's not too late for your little guy.

the thing is I live downstairs next to the garage, and the whole area, which used to be rented out, now serves as a storage area, stuff everywhere. Alot of dark places, pretty cool overall too. I'm not going to look anymore tonight, but I laid wet towels pretty everywhere where I think he might be. Can he really sense the moisture and know where to go?

Thanks alot though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think they can survive very long without water. I hope he is on one of the towels when you awaken.

Good luck,
Dana

I have had success in the past with a non-stick cookie sheet full of water on the floor under the furniture...its dark, its wet, and it is not deep enough to drown in. This method is less likely to mold too.

The cookie sheet method has worked for me as well...I sat it out after I noticed one of my slimy sals missing and the next morning it was soaking in the middle of the sheet. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back