Question: Good starter salamander?

Salamandrae

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Salamander Freak :P
Hey im relatively new to the whole terrestrial salamander keeping and i was wondering...does anyone have any reccomendations for a good starter caudate? And if so could you please tell me anyone willing to sell me one or two near my area? Thanks!!!!

Tiger salamanders are your best bet. Try googling Toronto & Reptile Stores, see what you come up with. There is also Kingsnake.com.

I believe tiger sals are protected in Ontario. You should definitely check with your local wildlife authority.

You should find something that's captive bred. Canada's kind of low in diversity, but fire salamanders are a good choice too. Most juvies are CB.

Thank you all for the suggestions but i`ve already tried obtaining a fire and they`re 100!!!!! Thats a little pricey for me id rather pay about 50$ for a tiger but they seem to not be around Toronto as the i`ve asked around and every store has told me the only caudate i could acquire at the moment is a fire so ill try kingsnake. Thanks!!!!

I believe tiger sals are protected in Ontario. You should definitely check with your local wildlife authority.

You know, I hadn't considered that.

Last edited by a moderator:
They`re actually not protected i`ve seen somone buy one in a pet store before and i`ve asked for them but the owners say that they couldn`t obtain any at the moment.

Just because they're at a pet store doesn't mean they're not protected/illegal.

A well known pet store a chain yeah thats it big al`s aquarium it`s a huge pet store chain and no they`re not illegal i`ve checked.

I believe they are protected for wild collection though. Captive breds obviously are obtainable.

captive bred tigers are as rare as hen's teeth! The fact of the matter is that if you want to get CB salamanders/newts your best bet is to go aquatic.

I believe they are protected for wild collection though. Captive breds obviously are obtainable.
In Ontario, several ambystoma species are 'specially protected' - see pg 78:
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/239841.pdf
CB tigers are very, very rare - you may be told they are CB, but I would not trust that as a general rule. Search the forum for the many discussions on tigers breeding in captivity.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back