Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi, new A.mavortium owner

prettykttkat

Reaction score
Hi, I joined this forum in hopes of finding some information/help with breeding Tiger salamanders and will be posting a new thread in the appropriate section soon.

A little about myself: I have been around many types of animals my whole life, especially reptiles and amphibians. I currently work for a reptile rescue rehabbing sick herps and doing educational programs for kids at libraries, schools, etc. I have over 30 reptiles and a few amphibians. Most of the reptiles are tropical aboreal species and I occasionally breed them. The amphibians that I have are 1 Gray Tree Frog (adult), 2 Axolotols (1 is normal color,1 is leucistic, both juveniles) and yesterday the rescue gave me 4 Tiger Salamanders (1 adult male Barred, 3 juveniles that look like they are a mix of the Barred and the Blotched Tiger salamanders. These salamanders were wild caught in April from 2 different locations. The Barred male was caught by a kid who took it to school and his teacher had in it the classroom in a tank full of sand. It was picked up by the rescue because #1 they were not taking proper care of it and #2 it is illegal to own native species here in Colorado. The 3 juvenile Tiger salamanders that look to be a mix of the Barred and Blotched sub species came from some kids who found them in their back yard, kept them for awhile until the parents didn't want them anymore and called the rescue to come get them. I set up a 20 gallon long tank for them for now and last night I tong fed them several waxworms each. I was surprised they ate so soon let alone readily eating from tongs! I know the basic care and feeding of this species but I would love to learn more. The reptile rescue gave these to me in hopes that I might be able to breed them someday and then the offspring can be released into the wild in areas where this species numbers are declining. I have success with breeding my reptiles but I have never bred amphibians before. The only experience I have is with African Clawed frogs in a lab where we injected them with hormones to get them to breed. That was 12 years ago.

I hope I will learn a lot here on this forum and I look forward to speaking with some of you who own this species:)

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi prettykttkat,

Welcome to the site, there is a huge pool of collective knowledge here and I am sure you will find what you are after

prettykttkat

Reaction score
Thanks!

I was reading some of the breeding threads and it was very informative. Instead of having a whole bunch of questions I now only have a few:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1