Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: tank size

matchu77

Reaction score
Hi all. Any recommendation on a correct size tank for 7 adult axies? Also, is it okay to mix multiple males and females? I have just been given 5 more axies to my existing 2. Cheers.
:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Markw

Reaction score
Im sure you already knew this, but the footprint is more important than gallonage, but 48x24x24 (glasscages.com) could probably hold your 7 tightly. Larger is better, especially with that many axies. As far as I know, excessive breeding could soon become a stress issue to your females if they live with the males for a long period of time, especially with many males. I would buy whatever size tank you can get that would be big enough, then put an acryllic divider down the center for males and females. Maybe someone else will chime in, but that is my opinion. Hope this helped.

Also, it wouldnt hurt to quarentine the new 5, just incase.

Mark

matchu77

Reaction score
Cheers! Thanks for your advice. They have come in as 2 breeding pairs, and a single male, plus my original breeding pair.

Last edited by a moderator:

Markw

Reaction score
Oh, well in that case you could also have three bare-bottom (not literally, just not extravagant (sp?)), smaller tanks also if you would like to go that route. Nice score. If you are ever looking to get a pair off your hands, id be waiting =]. Good luck. Pictures would be nice too.

Mark

madFrankie

Reaction score
I'm with Mark on this one. The more space, the better for that many! If you're putting all 7 in one tank I'd say you're going to want something at an absolute bare minimum 6' long (if you have the space) or multiple tanks as Mark said.
The general rule of thumb is 18 inches per adult axie, so going by that you'd need a 10'(!!) tank which would probably have to be custom-made and would cost about as much as a small country.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1