Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Jasper cant balance

Ranger

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Today i picked up a little golden axie who is about 10 centimetres long. he looks perfectly normaland is a good deep gold colour. I got him for free because he has been brought back by 2 different people because he cant balance. when he swims he goes upside down and has to thrash to get himself back up. He "wobbles" from side to side when he moves and wont eat. he was on gravel so maybe he has a stone stuck in his guts? he dosnt look underfed but the guy said he wont eat. I already have 3 axolotls in a large 150 litre tank and have owned axolotls for about 3 years but have never come across a problem like this. any help is appreciated :)
i will attempt to feed him small pieces of steak and blood worm tonight.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Ranger,

Remember to quarantine this new acquisition before putting into your main tank. If you are worried about impaction problems, you can fridge your axie during the quarantine period. Fridging will faciliate passage of impacted material and destress your axie. It also allows you to monitor this axie closely. Just fill enough water to cover its back but not allow it to float.

http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Fridging.shtml

Cheers.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Ranger,

There are a number of things that can cause an axolotl to swim upside down. Rayson has given good advice. I would also go for fridging in the interim, Sorting out why he swims upside down can be a slow process of trial and error and elimination. Impaction would be a good one to tick off the list. Or solve the issue.

Good Luck

Ranger

Reaction score
He wont be going into my big tank as he is a bit small and my boys will eat him. how long will i need to fridge him for? and what is the temperature that the fridge needs to be at? thanks :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!