Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Rotting tail

Sasha

Reaction score
Help! My axolotl has a problem. I suppose it`s kind of infection, but I`m not sure what to do. It looks like a rotting tail (the very end of her tail looks like torn piece of paper with red (blood?) spots on it.:( What is it? And how should I treat it? (I put a picture, please have a look at it)

Attachments

• DSC09812.jpg
    DSC09812.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,641

Sasha

Reaction score
I forgot to tell that she feels quite fine, swims and eats as usual. The water quality is normal, but temperature is high, about 25 C.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

ianclick

Reaction score
I agree with Jacq,

If you don't have issues at present from that temperature you could well have shortly. I suggesst as does Jacq that you fridge your axolotl and work on getting your tank temperature down asap.

Sasha

Reaction score
Thank you for advice! I already put her in the fridge. Should I give her a salt bath too? Or it`s no need? :confused:
I use a tank fan and bottles with ice but it doesn`t help much so I`m thinking about putting my axolotls in the fridge for the hottest period of summer. Is it Ok to keep them in the fridge even if they do not have any health problems? And how long can I keep them in there?

philbaker76

Reaction score
Hi there, I've read on here you can keep them in the fridge for months. And personally, I wouldn't salt bath unless there was a sign of fungus. Cheers, Phil

Derm

Reaction score
I would not salt bath until you think there is a fungus AND asked someone here who knows if it truly is a fungus first. Sometimes it might not be a fungus and you treated your axolotl unnecessarily. :)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
"rot" can be produced by fungus and bacteria, and salt baths also work on bacteria...so discarding salt baths until it´s too late doesn´t sound like the best aproach.
I think there is definitely an infection of some kind so salt baths and cold it is...

Sasha

Reaction score
Help! She has been in the fridge for 5 days already, and today I noticed that the skin on her fingers is peeling off. Is it result of the same infection? Or cold is not good for her? Should I keep her in the fridge longer or put her in the tank?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Sasha,

Could you provide photos of the wound sites? Do you actually see just skin flaking off or actual flesh being torn off revealing the bone?

Cheers.

Sasha

Reaction score
Today I checked her again and didn`t notice any flaking skin. Was it just shedding?
And back to the tail...it doesn`t get any better. She also looks little bit stressed.
May it be caused by daily water changing? She looks really scared when I take her out of the darkness and coldness of the fridge to the light and even more scared when I take her out of container for changing water. Is it normal or I`m doing something wrong?
Also she hasn`t eaten for a week, I heard that axolotls don`t need so much food while in the cold. But how long can they stay like this without any risk for their health?
She used to live on pellets, should I find something more delicious to make her eat?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Sasha,

Axies do get startled when there is sudden light exposure, such as from taking it out from the fridge. This is normal and anticipated. You can help minimise this by covering the tub with a tea towel and then slowly sliding/lifting the towel away to uncover the axie gradually.

Axies also get startled when they feel they are being pursued when you try to catch or transfer it to another tub or even just the water turbulence during water changes. This is also normal and anticipated. You can minimise this by gently tipping water in and out of tubs and avoid jerking, abrupt, frantic movements when trying to transfer the axie.

You are doing nothing wrong on both accounts.

Due to the cold, the axie's digestion is slowed down. As such they tend to lose their appetites while being fridged. However, their metabolic demand and physical activity is also reduced and thus food requirement is also proportionately reduced. Axies can safely go without food for up to 2 months, and even for longer periods while being fridged. This depends on many factors such as the original health and body condition of the axie, the age of the axie and even the fridge temperature.

You can try offer live blackworms, chopped up live earthworms and pieces of fish and prawn while the axie is fridged. Try to offer smaller than usual portions of food. The smaller pieces allow for easier digestion. Live wriggly worms also tend to stimulate their appeitite. You can safely leave a small amount of live blackworms overnight in the axie tub until the next day during the water change. Any other food type, i would recommend you remove it after 30min if the axie doesn't consume it.

Based on the photos, i really don't think there was infection. I am more inclined to think it is normal skin shedding coupled with small physical trauma tears around the tail. Axie fins are very delicate and friable and very often they can get torn off. They do tend to regenerate uneventfully. There are many fine blood capillaries around the tail which are more apparent in light coloured axies. That is normal.

Cheers.

Starfreak7

Reaction score
My axie seems to be having a similar problem. There was a little loose "skin" I guess you could call it at the end of his tail. I thought maybe it was just shedding, but this morning I noticed a new tear in his tail. The two may be unrelated but I'm a little worried. He seems fine. Good appetite, tail is not curved and gills look normal. He hasn't been acting unusual at all. Any advise on what this is and how I should proceed?

The water temp is around 70F. I've been trying to keep it cool with ice bottles. I did an ammonia and nitrite test this morning. Ammonia is at .25, Nitrite .25.

Attachments

• Loxie Tail.jpg
    Loxie Tail.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 731
  • Loxie 16.jpg
    Loxie 16.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 782

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
That just looks like a tear... not rotting. If you look in the gallery at my photos of bob and bud you will notice that bob has a large scare on his tail from tearing it on something... I think your axolotl just cut it's tail on something. Check your tank and make sure everything is safe just so it wont happen too often.

Sasha

Reaction score
She doesn`t get any better, her tail looks even more curled and skin flaking started again (one of fingers looks like it`s dead already) Her legs are very red, is it because of blood or is it a sickness?:(
I put more pictures but flaking skin is hard to see coz it`s same color with the plastic case.
What should I do? Should I take her to a vet? Or keep her in the fridge longer? Should I give her salt or tea baths?:confused:

Attachments

• DSC09884.jpg
    DSC09884.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 875
  • DSC09886.jpg
    DSC09886.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 642
  • DSC09890.jpg
    DSC09890.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 714

Sasha

Reaction score
Her tail pictures

Attachments

• DSC09880.jpg
    DSC09880.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 658
  • DSC09882.jpg
    DSC09882.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,364

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Sasha.

If you are really worried take it to a vet, I would agree that the flaking is likely normal skin shedding and the tail looks like an injury rather than rot. If there is no fungus there is no need for salt or tea baths. Fridging will help it destress and heal.

Goos Luck

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Sasha,

What type of water are you using for your water changes? Are they properly dechlorinated? Have you tested for water parameters (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrates)?

The curled tail tip is a sign of stress so there is something in its environment that is amiss. Other than that, i am not particularly worried about the tail.

In light coloured axies, when they remain still for a prolonged period, sometimes blood can pool to the extremities giving it a more reddish appearance. However, chemical trauma as a result of presence of chemicals in the water can also cause signs like flaking skin and reddish skin.

I think your axie is fine overall and would just require longer fridging. I don't see any indication for salt baths at this point.

Cheers.

Sasha

Reaction score
I`m using tap water dechlorinated with TetraAqua ContraChlorine. It`s very concentrated, we should use 6ml to 27 l. of water but it`s hard for me to keep the exact proportion, I usually put about 1 ml or 0,5 ml. of dechlorine in 1,5 l. bottle for water change. (Right proportion should be 0,2 ml. of dechlorine to 1 l. of water, but I don`t know how to measure such a small amount of dechlorine :confused:) Is it bad if I can not keep the right proportion of water and dechlorine?
Today I bought Tetra AquaSafe, I hope it would reduce my axie`s stress. Keeping the right proportion would be also easier coz it`s 5ml to 12l.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Sasha,

Its best to keep to the manufacturer's recommendation on dechlorinators. I do think It would be easier with the new product you just acquired.

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1