Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

starting a new tank- help, please

Velaria

Reaction score
I already have two axolotl tanks that are fully cycled, but I will be starting a brand new tank tomorrow. My question is:

Can I steal the filter from the already-cycled tank and put that filter in the new tank, along with some water from the already-cycled tank, and then give a NEW filter to the already-cycled tank, and then just put enough fresh water in both tanks to make them full? I guess my question is whether or not by adding a brand brand new filter to my already-cycled tank, if that will cause problems for the already-cycled tank. I know that the majority of the bacteria live in the sponge filter, but even if I steal old the sponge filter from the already-cycled tank, I would imagine that there would still be enough bacteria in the already-cycled tank that they would promptly populate the new filter, right?

I'm just trying to get my new tank cycled quickly, but I don't want to do any harm to my already-cycled tank. I know that I can steal decorations/plants from the cycled tank, but I really want to steal its filter because that's where the majority of the beneficial bacteria reside.

I am also considering adding a feeder goldfish to the new tank in order to expedite its cycling, but those feeder goldfish always die after a day or two! I need something that will live longer. Guppies, maybe?

Thanks!

Tina

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Velaria,

I think the filters will work just fine. If you already have feeder fish, you can always use them to help speed up the cycling in the new tank. Its better to use pre-quarantined fish or those that you bred yourself for feeder fish purpose. Since its for an axie tank, the same type of fish appropriateness applies - minnows, guppies, platys.

Cheers.

Yucca Patrol

Reaction score
I don't know what kind of filter you are using, but switching filters cartridges/sponges is a great way to start up a new tank.

If you have sponges in your filters, take it out and squeeze all the gunk into the water of the new tank. Also, adding a bit of old substrate to your new tank will help too.

Just check water quality until you know it is stable.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Velaria,

I agree it will help the new tank to use an existing filter,

The two best things for tank cycling are patience and time.

Good Luck

Velaria

Reaction score
Thanks as far as the new tank goes, but if I put a brand new filter in the old tank, will that harm the cycle of the old tank in any way?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I don't think it would harm it. You would still have the beneficial bacteria on all of the other surfaces in the existing tank.

bazil323

Reaction score
It could mess with the established tank if there is not enough beneficial bacteria left in the tank. I think the best way is to have 2 filters going on established tanks or 1 filter with lots of biomedia so that you can change out the media on 1 filter or take out part of the biomedia on the single filter without adverse effects.

Am I right in assuming that you have a filter that has a foam-like sponge and then another that is like a pocket filled with carbon? You could take one of those and squeeze it gently and swish it around in the new tank to jump start the cycle. I generally add fish right away when I do this, and I have never had problems. If you are adding something sensitive, you might want to use a more hardy fish for this "break-in" period and then add the sensitive fish and you can remove the more hardy fish at that time.

Another option is to use Tetra SafeStart. It's the repackaged version of BioSpira, and I have used both with excellent results. Just get the appropriate amount of SafeStart, add it to the tank, and add fish right away. I like to get the next bottle larger for whatever tank it's for. For example, if I need it for a 40 gallon tank, then I would get a bottle big enough for a 55g tank, just in case some of the bacteria has died or whatever. I'm paranoid, so that's probably not necessary. You can use this in conjunction with the old filter media method as well. I think that works best, IMHO. You do have to be aware of the expiration date, and sometimes you have to ask for it because the store may have it in the refridgerator in back, especially if it is a smaller store. It's supposed to be shelf-stable, but I am not sure how stable it is.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!