My New Axolotl Tank

Greg31

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just set up my new 15g tank. I am going to hold one axolotl in it. I bought dried blood rooms for food, just wondering how that will do btw. But my real question is i got two plants, sand, and some small pebbles that are supposed to help the plants grow. Should i buy some fish to help cycle? Also what is the best filter i should get for my small tank?

I may be wrong, but im sure someone will let you know if thats the case :p Once your tank is cycled make sure you remove all the small pebbles if theyre of size which your axie could swallow. Fish are good for helping cycle but only ones that you know are healthy. If you buy fish then you would need to quarantine them first for 30 days (i think it is)

I don't believe the freeze dried bloodworm will provide much nutritional value for your axolotl. Is there any way you can purchase frozen blood worm, night crawlers, or live blackworm? http://www.axolotl.org/feeding.htm

What type of plants do you have? I have many aquatic plants that are growing just fine in pool filter sand.
CIMG2299.jpg

If you're thinking about purchasing fish to cycle your tank I would think about a few guppies. When you add your axolotl it will most likely make a snack out of them otherwise make sure the guppies aren't nipping at the axolotl. I use a hang over the back filter made for a 10 gallon on my 30 gallon tank. I haven't seen a filter for a rating less than 5-10 gallons unless you look through drsfostersmith.com. I imagine the 5-10 gallon HOB filter would suffice as long as there's not too much current to stress the axolotl. If the current is too strong perhaps you can find an adjustable filter or secure a floating island or piece of wood underneath the filter to diffuse the current.

I would not use the freeze dried bloodworms as they are not very nutritious. Try earthworms or frozen bloodworm cubes. You could get fish to help the cycle, but then the fish are just going to have to suffer exposure to ammonia and nitrites. For a filter, you're going to want one without a strong flow.

ok, well i put sand, two plants, and a fake hollow log in my tank and the small pebbles for my plants but they are all located under the sand. All i need is the air filter and i guess new food. How does my set up sound?

The sand is still settling in the tank, but once it settles i will post a picture.

I also purchase water conditioner which said it helps to cycle my tank, dont know how accurate or helpful it is, but was that a wise purchase?

I also have a light that came with the tank, if i get some cover for it, will it be ok to leave on? Also would turning the light off at night to sleep be ok?

The water conditioner most likely will not work. Most of the products that say they will help your cycle, don't work. The only reliable one is Tetra SafeStart. As for the light, you should leave on about 10 hours a day. Actually, I don't believe axolotls prefer too much light, which is why it is good that you have the hollow log.

I'm afraid most aquatic plants labeled "moderate lighting" will at least need 2-3watts per gallon. If you're using the light that came with your tank you'll be lucky if it's at least 1 wpg. You may grow low light plants, I have java moss, hornwort, and duckweed in all of my tanks. Those plants just grow slower in the lower lighted tanks.

If you haven't already had a chance, it is a good idea to thoroughly rinse any sand you plan to use. I've been surprised at how much dust/silt is in the average bag of sand. I put it in a 5 gallon bucket and blast it with the house until the water comes out clear.

Thanks alot for the help. I have bought 4 guppies which i plan to put into the tank to help the cycling process. I also used bottled water to fill the tank. I am not sure what kind of plants i have, but they are long thick strands/leaves with one or two long stem with leaf on the end.

If the small pebbles are under the sand will the axolotl dig and find them?

I don't believe the axolotl will neccassarily dig for the pebbles but when they eat they use what's called a buccal pump to suck everything in. My axolotls suck in sand just about every time they eat something off of the substrate. That's where you may have a problem with the pebbles. The pebbles that are in your tank is it something like flourite for plants or is it just regular aquarium gravel?

Looks great. Maybe a background would spruce it up a bit?

Mark

The tank looks great. Hope everything goes well for you.

dotn use prebbles they can swollow it and get constipated and die i prefer either sand or using stones bigger then the axolotls mouth

the sand looks a lil thick, best to level it out to 1-2cm (1inch is max).

You will get pockets of nitrogenous gas in your sand, it doesnt smell very nice, nor too good for your tank.

You will also be able to put more water in the tank.
More water = better waste to water ratio (better stability)

hope all that helps

Aaron

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back