Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Noto eggs and larvae

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I have some noto eggs(15-20). I have a 1-2 gallon aquarium set up with tons of plants and a sand bottom. Is this a good set up? There is so many plants that I think there is enough hiding areas. My question is, could the sand cause impaction? I think it will so I am getting rid of the sand, am I right to get rid of the sand? I will post a pick of the aquarium in a little bit. I know I will need to do water changes often.

Also I will feed bbs right away and then use white worms and bbs. Is that good? Will they eat chopped frozen bloodworms? They are n.v.l. so I hope they will skip the eft stage.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
The set-up sounds fine to me; I wouldn't worry too much about the sand, although you may do better rearing the larvae in a bare-bottom environment.

Whiteworms and baby brine shrimp should work alright. They won't be able to eat bloodworms until they are larger (for me it was all four legs) and the best way I found to get the larvae to eat them is by hand-feeding them with a pipette. The upside to this is that it makes the larvae pretty tame. You could also try feeding mosquito larvae using this same method (it worked well for me).

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I have been thinking about ordering some daphnia from dallas discus. Should I buy 400 or 1,500? How do I keep the daphnia alive. I have a nice rubber tub I could set outside with water. The water would get pretty hot though unless I put it in the shade but they need the sun so the algae will grow. I could dig a hole and bury it halfway, the earth would keep it cool. Also how should I get algae growing in it? Oh and how old until the larvae can eat daphnia?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about ordering some daphnia from dallas discus. Should I buy 400 or 1,500? How do I keep the daphnia alive. I have a nice rubber tub I could set outside with water. The water would get pretty hot though unless I put it in the shade but they need the sun so the algae will grow. I could dig a hole and bury it halfway, the earth would keep it cool. Also how should I get algae growing in it? Oh and how old until the larvae can eat daphnia?

How large is the tub? The mistake most people make with daphnia is trying to keep them in too-small of a container. If you have a steady supply of BBS and whiteworms, I don't think you absolutely need daphnia. If you do plan to get them, get a tub set up outdoors as soon as possible, as it needs time to age and start to grow algae. Burying it is a good idea, although it might still be too hot if it's in direct sun. Be sure to put some kind of ramp in it, so that if small animals fall in they can get back out (I learned this the hard way, ick!)

If you can find a way to size-sort the daphnia, the larvae can eat the smallest ones right away, or certainly within a couple of weeks of hatching.

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I would guess the tub is 20-40 gallons. I will put it in the woods where it is part sun/part shade. Fill it halfway and bury it halfway in the ground. Should I put in some pond water and waste from some newt tanks to help get the algae growing? Should I use some miracle grow?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!