Heat Warning - UK

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
According to the forecast, temperatures for southern UK are set to be between 30-32C next week.

For those keeping sensitive animals, now is the time to be stocking up on frozen water bottles and preparing for sustained heat.

I have been trying to empty the freezer especially for this...the family are at a loss to understand why the axolotl and co are far more important than ice cream!!. I found yesterday, placing a damp towel around their tank helped.

For you folks without basements and/or central air, this is a good time to review this:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

Fortunately we have very few really hot days here in the UK. Domestic air conditioning is quite uncommon.

I think I'm ready. So far I have:-

- A freezer full of frozen half litre water bottles.
- A fridge with 75 litres of 4C dechlorinated water in it (for emergency water changes)
- A portable air con unit on reserve at a local store

At this rate I'm going to be sleeping in the comfortably cool newt room....

Fortunately we have very few really hot days here in the UK. Domestic air conditioning is quite uncommon.

I think I'm ready. So far I have:-

- A freezer full of frozen half litre water bottles.
- A fridge with 75 litres of 4C dechlorinated water in it (for emergency water changes)
- A portable air con unit on reserve at a local store

At this rate I'm going to be sleeping in the comfortably cool newt room....

Believe it or not, I sleep in the critter room most days.:D

I have found that those commercial sealed reusable gel pack type ice units work really well too. I just picked a bunch up at the local discount store for less than 1 USD each.

Sounds to me like you are well prepared. I hope every one else in that part of the world is taking measures ahead of time too! It was one year ago today that I learned the hard way how important proper preparation for hot weather and power outages is.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back