Why, hello there. Welcome home.

Markw

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, so this is overlooked sometimes, I think and I think it should be adressed. You see tons of posts about how to quarentine your new axie, how to feed him, house him, and care for him, but you never see what to actually do when he gets to your house. Do you float the bag and release? Do you drip acclimate, or something else? When I got mine in, I forgot to ask this and I floated the bag for about a half an hour and just release him (minus the water) into the aquarium. After looking back, I didnt know if this was the right thing to do. Everything turned out well, but I dont know how much stress it gave to the little guy. Tell me how you do it. :happy:

Mark

I floated mine, then added water to the bags every 20 min (roughly) until the bags submerged. After they submerged I pushed the bags onto their sides and let the axies swim out when they felt like it. Most swam out right away but at least one had to dumped out.

Hi Mark,

Actually there were several posts that discussed how to transfer the axies, new plants and ornaments safely into the quarantine tank. What you did was perfect. Just floating the bag to allow temperature to equillibrate and avoid adding the water in the bag into the tank. With ornaments and plants, a rinse and removal of lead rings, fibre material etc. is recommended. Some people also choose to soak and scrub new ornaments with a concentrated saline solution and to a lesser extent potassium permaganate. Concentrated saline is safer and much neater too though.

Cheers.

I put my adults axies in large buckets. I gradually(over 24 hrs) added the tank water to their buckets. I made sure the water was the same temp as the water in their buckets. I also gave them a little snack. Once their buckets were full I added them to their new homes. It never occurred to me to float them in plastic bags. That would have been faster.:happy:

I was given my first axolotl and tank and knew absolutely nothing about them or how to look after them. I got a second one a couple of weeks later and just plonked it into the tank with the other one. I wouldn't do it again knowing the risks but both of these axies have ended up healthy.

With the next 6, I have used the old plastic bag in the tank trick.

Now I have another question, but its related. When moving axies from one tank to another, not in plastic baggies, how do you do so, with a bucket? I will be moving my guys into their 55gal today and I dont have plastic bags like you find in your LFS to transfer them in. Any ideas?

Mark

One of the easiest ways to transfer them is with a small plastic container. You can then carefully nudge your axie into the tub and lift him out, water and all. You may need a lid to make sure there are no mis-haps between tanks. Just make sure the container is long enough to not cramp your axie.

When I transfer from tank to tank, I use the old tank water plus same temp water in buckets, I just plonk them over using a brine shrimp net. Very fine netting, won't catch toes or gill filaments.

Hi Mark,

I use both Kerry's and Sharon's method without any problems. THe tub transfer method is safer but it requires the axie to be relatively easily caught, such as from a shallow tank. The netting method is better for deeper tanks with an elusive axie that does houdini acts.

Cheers.

To Transfer I use a 1 litre plastic pub jug and scoop the axie up into the jug with water and then pour it all into the holding tank/container

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back