unexpected eggs

coologz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Just had a few unexpected eggs. Should I have to remove the male axolotls from the tank? But if so, how the rest of the eggs get fertilized. Please help, waiting online.

How to deal with the eggs, any food needs provided?

If you want to hatch the eggs out and rear the larvae then you will need to move the eggs out of the adults tank into a different container.

You will also need to seperate your male and female so that you don't get any more batches of eggs.

The eggs are already fertilised, they are fertilised internally after the female picks up the males spermatophore.

The eggs take around two weeks to hatch so you have that long to source some food for the larvae.

There is plenty of information on the site about rearing larvae, just look at axolotl.org, read the information there and then start looking through old posts here, there's tonnes of info around.

Good luck with it.

edit: If you go to the chat room there will probably be someone around who can help you out with advice.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back