what will i feed my babies

Naughty T

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got 2 baby axies on thursday, a green one and what I think is an albino one. I have been feeding them bloodworms which they seem to love and a few small pieces of prawn. What else can I feed them and how often?

They are around 2.5inches long from head to tail, anyone know roughly how old they might be?

Here they are:

DSCF8823.jpg

DSCF8825.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya
You have a leucistic and a wild type. The wild type is the darker one.
They will do great on bloodworm.
You could try cutting up some earthworms for them or even getting them some mosquito larvae from somewhere.

Mine are 4 months old and range from about 2 and half inches to about 5 - 6 inches.

Does the white one (leucistic) have back legs?
Mel

Last edited:
Chopped up nightcrawlers, whiteworms, and blackworms are all good food items for axolotls that size.

Without knowing how much and how often they were fed before you got them I would venture to say they are probably around the 2-3 month old mark. That's just a stab in the dark though.

Hiya
You have a leucistic and a wild type. The wild type is the darker one.
They will do great on bloodworm.
You could try cutting up some earthworms for them or even getting them some mosquito larvae from somewhere.

Mine are 4 months old and range from about 2 and half inches to about 5 - 6 inches.

Does the white one (leucistic) have back legs?
Mel

Thanks for that information

Yes the white one has 4 legs but has no feet,do you have any idea why that would be?

Thanks for that information

Yes the white one has 4 legs but has no feet,do you have any idea why that would be?

I agree thats its probably due to nibbling, if they were kept with lots of others. Just keep an eye on him.

Mel

I agree with Johnny and Melfly,

But don't worry too much as they will likely regenerate in a fairly short space of time.

Good Luck

Good news is that i am starting to see signs of feet growing already so i'm very pleased about that,they also seem to have settled in fine and are now eating.

My 1foot alxie will be arriving tomorrow morning,can't wait to meet him.:cool:

Glad they're growing back good!

Good luck with the big axie!! Dont forget pics!!
Mel

Last edited:
Awe, the babies are so sweet, enjoy them...just be careful not to put the big axie in with them, until they are of a similar size to him.

Zoe x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back