Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

ToO hot, dont know what else to do.

lisalee2

Reaction score
Hi, i havent been on here for a while, and now geting a bit worried i have 7 axolotls up stairs in my bed room and all 3 tanks are 25.8c, there tanks have never been as hot as that before and do not know what else to do. Iv opened both bed room windows wide open, closed the blindes, they have two fans over them, been giving them 10% water changes daily and been adding blue ice blocks in there water and to day i have filled 6 bottles of water up and put in frezzer.Its just to warm for them, they are looking stressed, floating to the top, and the wiled types are going white around there eyes and backs from the head down to bottom of tails.
What else can i do to get the temps down as it isnt good for them and not looking to well.
Lisa

melfly

Reaction score
Re: To hot, dont know what else to do.

If you are really struggling it may be best to fridge them until the heatwave is over....as i've heard it is going to get worse til the weekend!!

One of mine may be on his way to a holiday in the fridge too

Mel

Last edited:

cherryscented

Reaction score
Re: To hot, dont know what else to do.

Mine were upstairs too... I've moved them downstairs into my garage which seems to be a lot cooler. Don't know whether thats any help to you?:confused:

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
That tank temp is way to high and the axolotls should be fridged now until you can get the temps back down.

Also, here is the atricle on FRIDGING if you need it.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi lisalee,

You could try insulating your tank with polystrene, keepers in Australia have reported a greater degree of temperature control after wrapping their tanks and using ice bottles.

Good Luck

lisalee2

Reaction score
Hi, i thought about putting them in the fridge but partner said its a big temp drop for them and could do more harm than good, we could only fit a couple in our fridge as its not the biggest fridge.My partner had a look on here last night to see what other people has done to prevent the sun and heat coming through the bed room window, so we put up some tin foil up the window so the sun dont come in, hopfuly that will help. We are hoping to get a bigger house in a couple of month as we are only in a 1 bedroom house at min and havent got the room to move them down stairs, so when we do move we will be building a wooden shed, insalate, put a window and door on the shed so on and have it in the shade hopfuly that will be alot better for them when it gets warm. All i can realy do to day and the rest of the week while it is hot is keep changing the ice packs as much as i can, it talks about being 30c to day in pborough, cambs so hopfuly the tin foil will help.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Putting them in the fridge allows the water to cool slowly which is perfectly safe. It's adding cold water suddenly that causes issues.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Lisa,

Justin is an experienced axie/salamander/newt keeper and i agree that fridging is probably the most practical and safest method for you right now.

Its going to be really difficult for you to keep rotating ice bricks for entire days, weeks on end, and fridging eliminates all those problems.

Cheers.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
My gang now have a fan on all the time , plus aerator . he temperatures rose to 22 degrees so I put a damp towel over the tank and the temperature is now down to 18 ( the fan is blowing over the face of the tank now rather than the top) . But if the temperatures carry on much longer ( recorded 36 degrees today outside here) I'll be putting them in the fridge.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1