Shed for axis and other reptiles

lisalee2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
lisa
Hi i was just wondering if any one could give me any advice on building a wooden shed for the axis and a bearded dragon. We are hoping to move in a couple of months to a bigger house, and would like our animals down stairs where it is alot cooler when it hot weather and not too cold in the winter, so i thought about building a shed for the animals also i have always wanted a room just for my axis and reptiles where i can sit and watch them swim around and watch rori my beardie walk around freely. Would a wooden shed be best for axis, would it keep more heat in in the winter and be cooler in the summer than a tin shed, what else would i need to do, would i need to insolate the shed for bad weather, i just need some advice realy on what to do about making a safe, weather proof shed thats bigger noth for 2 4ft tanks and a 4 ft vivarium and possable another viv for a small tourtouise and a sete chair. Any advice would be great.Thanks lisa.

I'm not sure this will work if you want the bearded dragon to be free ranging, it's like a catch 22. He needs warmth (lots of it) which means you'll need to keep the whole building warm. The axolotls will not be able to stand that for very long. If you keep the building cool for the axolotls then the beardie will die in short order. Your best option is to keep the building cool then put the bearded dragon in a terrarium and then try to heat that area up instead of the whole building.

Great tip again Justin. You are on a roll. I agree with his suggestions. ;)

I know that silly,lol. I have a 4 ft vivarim wiv a reptiglow uv light and a heated red lamp that the bearded dragon lives in which heats up the viv to 100c, what i meen is where she can come out a play every know and then.i wouldnt just put her in the shed with out any heat source, i would like the shed to be cool summer and winter for the axis it dosnt really matter for the bearded dragon as like i said she is in a heated vivarium,buit canot be too cold in the winter, what will i need to make the shed weather proof for winter and summer, i will be puting a window on the shed to let natraul day light comes through and so i can have the window undone if it does start to get to warm in there,I want the shed to be as close to the house as possible and away from and draft and sun, What is the best shed to get. I just want them to have there own room so they dont get disturbed much and where i can have me time with my darlings. Will all this be possible, i dont want to spend out 300 pound on a 8ft by 6ft shed and find out that in the summer it going to be to hot and in the winter to cold. Any advice would be great. Thanks lisa

I have a very basic wooden, flat roof shed with one small opening window and door . It does get very warm, so I would potentially have to insulate it. I have a friend with a similar style to mine and they used polystyrene to insulate the walls and roof and that has kept it a little cooler.... but I would still be hesitant to put my axolotl in there :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back