Fridging questions - please help

Gim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm going to fridge my axie tonight as the temp is just too high here, what is the safest way to get the axie out of his tank and into the container, also does the lid of the container need any holes to let air in? Sorry for more questions but also should i feed him as normal?

Another reason for my decision to fridge him is that about an hour ago i noticed a very small patch of white on his gills which I suppose could be fungus due to the heat, will fridging alone help this since I caught it early?

This is the first thing I read but I just wanted help with these few last points that it doesn't seem to address, this is the first time I have fridged my axie and just want to make sure I do it correctly.

Hi Gim,

the best way to get the axie out of the tank is by using a net slowly and carefully.
When your axie is in the fridge, his metabolism will down, so that´s not necessary to feed him.

Against the fungus you should do salt-baths twice a day. Take a look at this http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml

-Tina-

This is the first thing I read but I just wanted help with these few last points that it doesn't seem to address, this is the first time I have fridged my axie and just want to make sure I do it correctly.

D'oh, guess thats what I get for reading through a post too quickly.

You could skip the lid and put a dark tea cloth over the container, not only does it allow air to pass through but it blocks the light from the fridge when the door opens. You will notice a decrease in your axolotls appetite so adjust his feeding regiment accordingly.

Thanks guys, the holiday starts tonight.. Almost wish I could have a holiday in the fridge at the moment!

I second that! (the holiday in the fridge) Never mind, knowing us moaning Brits we'll be complaining that it's too cold/wet/windy next week!

So Heafy has been in the fridge for 24hours and I checked on him this morn and removed some poo, then did a complete water change this evening and had a quick check on him just now before bed (more poo again!) Anyway, I thought that the fridge was meant to relax the axolotl but all 3 times i have peeked under the tea towel he rushes to the front of the tub towards me, is it just that as far as he is concerned seeing me = food or am i doing something wrong here?

I would gladly trade seasons,

I wouldn't worry about your axolotls reaction, it sounds like a quite natural response. I know it seems really weird to put something living into the fridge to heal it but it really does help and they much prefer the cooler climate.

Good Luck

Ok so today is a week since i fridged my axie and last wednesday was the last time he ate anything I have offered which was 2 earthworms.. At what point do i start to worry about this, he normally eats like a monster and i know that the fridge slows their metabolism but a week just seems so long.

The tiny white "fungus" is still there except it is brown now and is still in the exact same place on his middle gill with no spreading, is it time to start salt baths? I have tried every night to get a decent photo but its all just a fuzz im afraid, will try again tonight

Thanks

Hi Gim,

You can safely fridge your axies for a prolonged period. During this period, they can safely go without food for 2 months. Have you tried offering live blackworms and bits of shrimp? For some reason, i find my fridged axies accept these food more readily compared to other food types.

Fungal infection do not tend to turn colour. I think a photo is really essential. I am suspecting it is a bacterial or parasite problem.

Cheers.

This is the best i can get sorry about the fuzz, if he is looking at you then its the left gill in the middle and its just a small section, maybe 2mm that is brown.. any ideas?

Attachments

• SDC10660.jpg
    SDC10660.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 273
  • SDC10661.jpg
    SDC10661.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 245
  • SDC10662.jpg
    SDC10662.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 236
HI Gim,

It actually appears to be pigmentation to me. However, some parasites such as velvet disease can cause a discolouration to appear. Fortunately, both fungal and parasite as well as minor bacterial infections can be effectively treated by salt baths.

To be certain, i would recommend you give two salt baths per day for 3 days. Space the interval period as evenly as possible, ie. - 8 am in morning, 8 pm at night. An hour or two off is ok. During these baths, the axie will attempt to struggle a bit. This is normal.

Basically just prepare a tub of fresh dechlorinated water and dissolve 2 to 3 flat teaspoonfuls of non-iodized salt per litre of water. You can use salt such as kosher salt, freshwater aquarium salt or sea salt. Do not use table salt. You can then place your axie in the salt solution for about 10 minutes but no longer than 15 minutes per session. Excessive salt solution soaking can cause damage to the axie's gills and skin. Have a look through this article as well.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml

If you can gently tease off any flaking/peeling lesions that is also fine. You can do so gently with a cotton Q-tip. Roll the Q-tip towards you to gently lift away at the lesion rather than prod at it or roll inwards which can damage the skin.

Monitor the progress and response of the axie during the salt baths. From the 4th day onwards, reduce down to once per day until the end of the week. Continue to monitor. I anticipate a marked improvement by day 3. If by end of the week, the salt baths and fridging did not improve the condition, again a vet appointment will be necessary.

You can also prepare one or two bottles (1 or 1.5 L bottle) of salt solution in the fridge. The most convenient time to do salt baths will be during your daily water changes. As the salt solution is fridged, there will be minimal thermal stress.

Note: At any time, if you notice the axie's condition worsening, stop the treatment and bring it to a vet.

Cheers.

I came across this earlier and was wondering if anyone has used a similar product and how well they work? it seems to be getting cooler here but my tank is still a little too warm for my liking, I'm guessing my terraced house is to blame for this! Also if anyone has used one of these what type of plug do they have on them?

http://aquatic-store.co.uk/marine/view/1321

Last edited:
I have one of these on my tank and it works pretty well. I do still have to occasionally put ice bottles in to ensure it doesnt get to hot, however theres a big difference compared to before. Without one of these fans or ice bottles my temp in the tank (before my axies were in there) was 26, now it's at most 21 (which is when i obviously add the ice bottles before reaching this point).

Using this fan means that I dont need to add ice bottles anywhere near as much as I did. It's usually now around 18 - 19.

Edit - mine came with a standard 3pin uk plug :)

I have one of these on my tank and it works pretty well. I do still have to occasionally put ice bottles in to ensure it doesnt get to hot, however theres a big difference compared to before. Without one of these fans or ice bottles my temp in the tank (before my axies were in there) was 26, now it's at most 21 (which is when i obviously add the ice bottles before reaching this point).

Using this fan means that I dont need to add ice bottles anywhere near as much as I did. It's usually now around 18 - 19.

Edit - mine came with a standard 3pin uk plug :)

Wow thanks, any chance you can put the link up for where you bought yours or a model number etc, thanks so much for the reply this is exactly what I wanted to hear.

I got mine from ebay, this link is the same as I bought but from a different seller. I went for the 2fan one as my tank is only 2ft (my axies are still babies) When i get my bigger tank i'll be buying a 4fan one probably :)

Hope that helps :)

If you feed axolotls in the fridge wont they regurgitate food because the temperatures too low, like below 8 degrees Celsius?

Axolotls in the fridge may not eat or may regurgitate their food, just remove any uneaten or regurgitated food. Its nothing to be alarmed about, some keepers and breeders don't offer food to short term fridged axolotls for this very reason.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back