Cleaning Goldfish filter for newt tank

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AJ
I have a tetra wisper filter 10i that I want to use for some Triturus dobrogicus larvae. I am running dish soapy water threw it right now. And plan on running clean water threw it a lot to rinse out the filter. Will that do a good enough job cleaning it incase the goldfish had a disease?

I personally wouldn't have cleaned out the filter, as it contained your benficial bacteria. Just as long as your goldfish didn't show any symptoms of disease...

Will that do a good enough job cleaning it incase the goldfish had a disease?

There's a huge gulf between cleaning and disinfecting or sterilizing. Your filter may be clean (please rinse thoroughly to remove all the soap!) but it is not disinfected or clean which means infection could be passed on. Disinfecting something is usually a very harsh process. Something like filter media would be nearly impossible to disinfect completely. If you washed your media (sponge, activated charcoal, etc) please discard it as it will likely leach soap into your tank.

That being said, did you acquire the goldfish recently? Has it presented with any odd behaviors or symptoms of illness? If you answered no then in this particular case I don't think the risk of infection is very high and your method of cleaning should be sufficient.

The goldfish were not sick, I just didnt want them anymore. I didnt wash the media because you just insert a fabric piece that has charcoal in the middle. It was just to wash the motor parts inside. I thoroughly rinsed it out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back