Is my axie scared of live food??

Ashlie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Ashlie
Hi all,

Since year dot my juvinile axie has been fed on frozen blood worm. I really want to vary her diet, so she can be a happy healthy axolotl, and i dont want her to become bored of her food, but she wont eat anything else. :eek:

Ive tried giving her frozen brine shrip, and she ignores it. I gave her live dauphnia, but she left them to get sucked into the filter.

Today i gave her live ghost shrimp, but whenever one of them came near her, she freaked out, swam away and tried to hide (i swear ive never seen her move so fast).
I usually hand feed her with forceps, so i caught a couple of the shrimp and tried to hand feed her, but she refused them and swam away. I then (humanely) killed the shrimp and tried to hand feed her again and after watching for a while, (apparently making sure it was really dead), she ate it no problems.... :confused:
When i hand feed her blood worm she will litterally attempt to swallow the whole cube in one go.... she is soooooooo greedy! But she doesnt seem to want anything else.

Is she afraid of live food? Is she just being a food snob? Is there anything else i could try that might tempt her?
I would quite like to leave live food in the tank for her, so she can eat when she wants, and i eventually want to feed her on guppies etc... but i dont want to stress her out with live food as tank mates if they scare her.

Thanks,

Hi Ashlie,

I don't think your axie is afraid of live food. Perhaps the live food move about too quickly for your axie to catch, perhaps because its a novel food type, the axie is still familiarising. I would say persist with live food and soon the axie will enjoy them.

You might like to try with live earthworms and blackworms first. Freshly killed shrimps will work just fine as well.

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back