Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axolotl behavior

Greg31

Reaction score
Hey, i got my 3 1/2 inch axie thursday and he eats about 3-4 small earth worms a day no problem. But he doesnt seem to be moving much, he really like being either behind my logs in the aquarium or inside it. Is this normal behavior for a new axie? Or could there be something wrong? Pretty much im just worried that he doesnt move much. Thanks in advance.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Hey, i got my 3 1/2 inch axie thursday and he eats about 3-4 small earth worms a day no problem. But he doesnt seem to be moving much, he really like being either behind my logs in the aquarium or inside it. Is this normal behavior for a new axie? Or could there be something wrong? Pretty much im just worried that he doesnt move much. Thanks in advance.

This is perfectly normal axolotl behavior. truth be told, they really do not "do" much. They have a very hard life of eating, sleeping, pooping, and waiting around to eat sleep or poop. Not fans of bright light, many axolotls will stay in their hides most of the time.They are most active when the lights are out.

Talk to them when you feed them! After some time, they figure out pretty quick that the sound and movement means food and will interact with you more.

Greg31

Reaction score
ok. And to clarify, i feed him 3-4 worms, that are like an inch long and 2-3 mm thick. So there are very small. I jsut figured he/she was eager to eat so he/she wasnt being fed enough.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Yeah, they are little piggies if given the chance. They will eat until they vomit at times. Since you have small worms, depending on your water temperature, you may want to feed every other day, or even three times a week. The colder the water, the less often you need to feed.

ianclick

Reaction score
I agree with johnny,

It can also take a few days for an axolotl to acclimatise during this time they are usually inactive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!