Daphnia Culture In Winter????

Lee31

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been keeping a good supply of daphnia breeding and thriving for the last 4months in my shed in a 10 gallon tub, air stone and spirulina powder, occasionally topping up the group with a couple of bags og new daphnia from the aquatic store... what do i do for the winter? Will the daphnia die below a certain temperature??? and i will have to start a new culture in early spring? or could this culture go right through with spirulina feeding reduced??

Lee

The cold weather will slow down production but should not kill them. I had to break throw ice this year to get to mine.

Hello.

I culture Daphnia in winter:happy:. In mountains the last winter i see in a cold water, down ice (10cms).

Good bye !

If you leave the airstone in the tub, the water won't freeze over soon.
Last winter my tub was frozen to the ground but when the ice melted, the culture started to flourish again.
In summertime, Daphnia reproduce via parthenogenesis (a kind of cloning) - you will almost only find females in the tub. When it gets colder, also males "appear" and the females produce eggs that can last through winter and ice, similar to Artemia salina.

So if you need a supply over wintertime, you should keep the airstone running or even get the culture indoors. If it is enough for you to harvest new daphnia next year, you can keep them where they are.

We have cultures that have been outside for years, but we use much larger tubs and we don't usually harvest them during the winter. We keep smaller cultures inside and harvest them once a week during the winter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back