axie aircon!

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Well since It has been a weirdly warm summer in Ireland I decided that Bob and Bud could do with some aircon! I got an old computer fan from the garage and a rechargeable battery from an old toy car. Now all I have to do is charge the battery by night and aircon my axies during the hot days. I will probable set the fan up to the mains tomorrow i was just too lazy to go cutting and soldering tonight!
Oh and here are pictures with one of Bud and one of Bob hiding...

Attachments

• Image132.jpg
    Image132.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Image133.jpg
    Image133.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Image134.jpg
    Image134.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Image135.jpg
    Image135.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Image136.jpg
    Image136.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 142
Hi,

Thats a great plan your axolotls are fortunate to be able to benefit from a bit of Irish ingenuity

I used this and it worked great. Hubby recently rigged up the computer fan by soldering it to the wires of a wall charger. Now I just plug it in and no need to recharge the battery.:happy:

I will probably do that tomorrow. I may try and find a bigger fan as this one only seems to make about a 1 degree difference. I ordered an electric thermometer today as I don't think the stick on strip ones are very accurate and then I will be better able to tell. There are two holes in the hood as well so I might add two fans.

I picked up a larger fan at a computer recycle/repair shop. It was inexpensive. I have a much smaller fan but it didn't lower the temp. significantly.

I have bigger fans but the battery isn't strong enough to power them. I need 24V. I might look around for a 24V output plug... I'm sure i will have one somewhere.

Update:
I just took the 6V battery off of the fan and added a 5V plug. The fan is running much faster now so the battery must be weak. Hopefully the faster fan will make a bit more of a difference!

Last edited:
Go down to Tandy/Radioshack

get a 12v power supply, shouldnt be too much.
Or if you have one, a cordless drill charger... they normally have higher voltages.

I have a thread somewhere how i did my fans, was very handy during summer

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back