Feeding schedule for juv opacum?

jbherpin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JBear
I have been doing VERY regular feedings for my recent morph A. opacum. They have reached a size that i would call them juvs. What changes should i make in their diet to best fascilitate growth and nutrition? They have been fed a staple of garden worm tips and quarters, flightless fruit flies, whiteworms(recently), and a sparse, but effective supplementing with very small crickets.
I was wondering if the feedings should become less regular, or even include other food prey. I may give them waxies, but not until they are a good bit bigger (I know waxworms are fattty additions, but i think they benefit an otherwise good diet; but only offered once a month at best). Has anyone tried Pheonix worms with A. opacum? I am very intested in this food prey, so if anyone has experience with them, give me a positive, or negative testimonial.

if you want to see the opacum, check out my album(s) here:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/album.php?albumid=472

and album 2:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/album.php?albumid=478

The A. opacum are in the first link. The rest I just find an excuse to share when I can...lol!

Please let me know what is best..I don't want to over-feed, or feed too little while they are still maturing. My "Thank You's".

-jbherpin-

You never said how 'regular' the feedings were so I would recommend feeding them three times a week and then dropping it back down to once or twice a week as the near adulthood. However, the best way to determine their feeding frequency is to look at the body size and build of the opacums themselves, they are your best indicator if they need to be fed more or less.

Varying their diet never hurts and is the best option.

My Opacum is a juvenile and I feed two-three pillbugs every other day now. Earthworms are its secondary staple, but it still seems a bit nervous around me when I offer earthworms nothing else though. If I buy crickets I will feed it with proper supplementation, but only once, until I have to get crickets again. I offer a waxworm once a month. I usually try to remember to prick the waxworm's skin, so it's easier to digest. It is a bit on the cold side in my basement, where the Opacum is kept, so if a feeding is skipped it isn't the worst.

I too have been curious about the feeding of Pheonix Worms, maybe fruitflies too. Variation in diet is always great these animals!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back