Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

photos of mum laying eggs

llekias

Reaction score
Hi to all
wow where to begin .... being as it was getting very cold outside and my axys were in an outside pond I decided to bring them inside and rehouse them in a tank over the coldest part of winter.
They have been inside for just a week now and tonight quite unexpectedly Juliette started laying eggs everywhere.... I shifted Romeo so she could get on with her business.
Romeo is golden with golden eyes and Juliette is black with some speckling . I wasnt planning on babies but am quite set up as I do raise Siamese fighters so have heaps of tanks filters and heaters etc, and also bbs
Can I feed them bbs? and should i separate them as I do with my Siamese babies
Just wondering what colour will our babies be, the eggs are mostly black although some are black and white.
I have heaps of kool photos of her laying will post some under here
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

linzi and lorraine

llekias

Reaction score
049-3.jpg

046-3.jpg

052-1.jpg

:eek:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You most definitely can feed the babies bbs. Try to vary their diet though.
Separate as many eggs as you are prepared to raise, you can leave the rest in with the parents, they´ll eat them(may seem cruel but it´s better than being overrun by hundreds of hungry babies).

No heaters needed. They can tolerate(and benefit from) very chilly temps....even down to 4ºC.

The babies will vary depending on the parent´s genetics. If you have an albino and a wild type, you´ll have babies of both types.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

llekias

Reaction score
thanks heaps for your reply
we are very excited about the new additions :D

will keep updating how our new family is growing :happy:

b00f

Reaction score
seems as though this really cold australian winter is causing axolotls across the country to just start laying.

I have approx 100 eggs myself, was rather fascinating to watch.

good luck

Aaron

llekias

Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive input.
We now have in excess of 250 eggs and she is still going ...
have read a lot of others posts and am now concerned as I put the other female back into the pond overnight with the male , but as some of the eggs are pure white could this mean the other female laid some
I am confused the mum is as shown above and the dad is a golden type albino , the other female is a pure white but with black eyes .... so confusing
any help appreciated

lorraine n linzi proud grandparents to be ;)

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks llekias for the photos. Would you be able to share some photos of that outdoor pond that you keep your axies?

Cheers.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Great pictures, but I have to ask about the gravel. Is that gravel small enough for them to eat or is it just the angle of the pictures?

I second Rayson's request for the pond pictures.;)

llekias

Reaction score
lol ok will get some photos of the pond tomorow
i originaly took them out of the pond as the lfs insisted they would be too cold
but inside I am struggling to keep the water in the large tank below 23-24
i am now wondering if I need to relocate them back out in the pond as one of my girls has become very restless any ideas ?
in the mean time will get photos of the pond tomorrow for all interested.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
They should be just fine in the pond over winter. People have been known to keep them in tubs that will skim over with ice and the axolotls seem no worse for the wear.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!