Efts and Firebellies in same tank?

mattramsland

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 20 gallon long aquarium set up with about 2/3 land with moss and soil, and 1/3 water that is 4 inches deep. I currently have 2 young Chinese fire belly newts inhabiting the tank (they are especially terrestrial these days). I just acquired a pair of red-spotted newts in the eft stage, and I was wondering if anyone has successfully housed these 2 species together.

Thanks!

Most likely not. Each are from a different continent and could introduce foriegn pathogens to eachother. Both are passive newts but I wouldn't do it.

Oh, ok. They are both from breeders in the US, domestically born, if that makes any difference. I've housed adult red spotteds and FBN's together successfully before, but not efts. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

If they are very close to the same size, it might be OK. But you'd need to watch very closely for growth rates. If one newt (or species) grows faster than the others, it's important to separate the larger one(s). With a mix of different species, this is all the more likely to happen. Whatever food you are using, there's a good chance that one species will be a more efficient predator than the other.

So... since you may have to separate them anyway, I think it's probably a better bet to keep them separate from the start. That's my opinion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back