Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

salty newts?

seagoat

Reaction score
Can you add any salt to a newt tank? What is the safe amount.

katebutton

Reaction score
As far as I know there are only a few amphibian species in the world that can tolerate salt water for long term, and those are frogs that inhabit brackish water. Newts, including the kind you have (I read your other post) are DEFINITELY not tolerant of salt water. Why would you think you need to do this?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Why would you think you need to do this?

Some newts live in brackish water or water with high mineral contents.

Salt helps keep fungus and some disease down. It's good to add salt to the water of axolotls especially if your water is soft. To have more trace minerals in the water I add sea salt mix to my axolotl , Ambystoma andersoni, and sometimes Pleurodeles waltl tanks. I use about 1 tablespoon of the salt mix used for making salt for salt water tanks per 5 gallons. The salt mix has more trace elements. Rock salt, noniodized salt, and some water softener salts can also be used. I've heard people recommend adding salt to all newt tanks. I'd double check before I would go that far.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I do what Micheal does with the salts and the axolotls. Sometimes I do use the same water I set out for my axolotls and use some of it for my newts. I only use a little bit of the salted axolotl water for some of my newt tanks but not so much. 1 cup or so thats all. The water here is kinda soft so I do add salts to my aging water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1