Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Swimming?

Markw

Reaction score
Ive read that everyones' axies are all laid back and chill on the bottom. Mine are still juvies (about 8-9mos), but they seem to love to swim. They all have their own little dug-outs and territories that they stay in for a while, but they still seem to swim alot. especially when the lights come on. The chemistry checks out: Ammonia: 0ppm, Nitrite: 0ppm, Nitrate: 40ppm and the temp is holding steady at 67F as long as I keep something frozen in there and the lights off with a fan on it. I have been wondering about this lately. They dont have forward gills or curled tails or anything. Their appetite is better than great and theyre all little fatties. Is this a good thing that shows good health in juies, or something I should be worried about? If you know me, you know that I am paranoid about my axies. :D:eek:

Thanks in advance.
Mark

pinkangel729

Reaction score
Ive read that everyones' axies are all laid back and chill on the bottom. Mine are still juvies (about 8-9mos), but they seem to love to swim. They all have their own little dug-outs and territories that they stay in for a while, but they still seem to swim alot. especially when the lights come on. The chemistry checks out: Ammonia: 0ppm, Nitrite: 0ppm, Nitrate: 40ppm and the temp is holding steady at 67F as long as I keep something frozen in there and the lights off with a fan on it. I have been wondering about this lately. They dont have forward gills or curled tails or anything. Their appetite is better than great and theyre all little fatties. Is this a good thing that shows good health in juies, or something I should be worried about? If you know me, you know that I am paranoid about my axies. :D:eek:

Thanks in advance.
Mark

My juvies seem to swim a lot also, especially in the evenings. My adult axie used to as well, but has since grown out of it. So I am guessing it's just something the lil youngsters like to do!

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg31

Reaction score
I have only had mine for like 4 days, but tonight he was swimming in circles around the tank, then perching on a leaf near top of the tank. Quite amusing.

Lacey

Reaction score
You are doing a great job, i'm sure this is pretty normal in younger axies. Although, they are not too keen on light, so when you turn them on, that's the only time they are probably trying to hide.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi MarkW,

Juveniles display higher activity level. This is normal. They will mellow down with age. ;)

Cheers

Markw

Reaction score
Alright, they dont get much light at all (almost none because of temperature reasons), so they dont hide very much from it at all. Maybe at around 4-6PM when the light hits the right side of the tank slightly will they hide. Its a relief that its not a bad thing.

Thanks all.
Mark

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1