Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Flapping gills

Fumi

Reaction score
Hey. I don't think that my Axolotl is sick, but I've only had her for three days and am not experienced with the species. She was stressed at first after her move to my home and then the filter's current was too strong. I have sorted these things out, and she seems much happier now. Only, it seems that when I go near to the tank she flaps her gills. She'll have them normal and every few seconds she pushes them flat against her head and releases them almost instantly. She does this over and over again. She's also hardly eaten anything since I've had her home. I've seen her eat about three blood-worms and that's about it. Any clues?

Regards Fiona & Fumi ^_^

Lacey

Reaction score
Hi Fiona. This is nothing to worry about, it's just her breathing. If she was stressed her gills would be curled forwards, or the tip of her tail would be curled. Maybe you should try feeding something else, maybe worms, these are very nutritional for axolotls. If not though, maybe it will just take her some time to get used to her new surroundings, i say just keep trying. Good luck!

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
HI Fiona,

Occasional gill flicking is normal. However frequent rapid gill flicking is not. Quick gill flicks in succession with short intervals can indicate illness, local irritation and even pain and discomfort. Very terminally ill axies often have very quick gill flicks. Does your axie show other signs of illness or stress? How is its behaviour and appetite? How quick and for how long duration do the gill flicking episodes occur?

Cheers

Fumi

Reaction score
Well she had been showing other signs, but I've only just got her and her journey home was quite stressful, and then her filter was too strong for her. I got her a new and far more gentle filter yesterday and she seems better now. Before her tail was curved and her gills were forward, but I figured that's got to be the case for all axies when they first arrive at their new home. Not her gills are approximately 45 degrees from her torso.
She does flick them regularly, but I was getting the impression she only did it when I came close to the tank. I have also noticed her take a couple of gulps of air from the surface. I read that this is is normal and she's just sort of stretching her lungs a bit. Her appetite isn't very good. I've only seen her eat about three blood-worms. These should be okay for her as they are the same as what she was being fed at the store she came from. However, I'll look into something else for her to eat. Maybe she'll fancy a nibble on an earthworm. What other food would people recommend for a small axie? As for behaviour, well I'm not familiar with her yet. She spends a lot of time sitting behind stones in her tank or in her hide. Sometimes I'll look up and quite unexpectedly she's just floating at the top of the tank, looking completely relaxed. She isn't gill flapping then. Then she'll swim about a bit and then just sit somewhere in the tank.
Right, I just went to observe her flapping and when she first flapped, I counted 22 seconds until the next flap. I watched for a little while. Intervals where this:

1st flap - 22 seconds - 2nd flap - 11 seconds - 3rd flap - 10 seconds - 4th flap - 15 seconds - 5th flap - 4 seconds - 6th flap - 10 seconds - 7th flap

I'm not sure as I didn't count the seconds before, but I did think that they were faster before... maybe she's calmed down a bit?

Regards, Fiona & Fumi ^_^

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
HI Fiona and Fumi,

Thanks for taking the special effort to count the intervals between gill flicks. That helped immensely. I am pleased to say that those interval times are pretty normal. Sick axies will flick their gills continuously with like 2 or 3 second intervals between them.

I am hopeful that once your axie settles down in its new home, it will be less stressed and routines and behaviours will be more normalised. Do be vigilant with water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH), temperature and current flow.

Live blackworms and earthworms are nutritious and suitable for young axies. This is also a good time to start training your axie to accept axie pellets. You can still supplement with occasional treats of shrimp, fish etc.

Cheers.

Fumi

Reaction score
Thanks Rayson.
That's very reassuring. I don't suppose their are too many vets who know about Axies. You must be highly sort after on these forums ^_^

Right, I'm off to get some worms!

Fumi

Reaction score
I managed to get some worms from a fishing tackle shop and I just fed her, her first worm. I never thought she would eat it so fast. I gave it to her, looked away for a split second and when I looked back it was gone and she was chewing. Sort of chewing. More trying it keep it in her mouth. At least I know she likes her worms! I'm so happy that she's eating! Thanks for your advice.

Celeste

Reaction score
Hey!!! those are very good news!! congratulations!

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Hehehe, I love how axies look when they eat worms -the worm flopping out of one side of their mouth, while they suck it back in, then another bit slithering out - Petrie sometimes shakes his head about whilst munching on them, in his effort to keep them in his chops :D...sort of like a repulsive version of the spaghetti scene in Lady And The Tramp...it is heartwarming to see how much they enjoy it though :happy:.

But yeah, earthworms are nutritionally great and, as long as you have a pesticide-free garden, you can dig them up completely free! Live bloodworms from aquarium shops are good too (though remember to wash them before feeding to your axie, as they don't normally come in clean, dechlorinated water)...and you may want to get some frozen bloodworms from the aquarium shop too - these are handy, because you can keep them in your freezer, in case you run out of live food.

Zoe x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1