Illness/Sickness: One bald gill :/

stampysmam

Reaction score
Country
England
Hiya can anyone help, my daughter has two axies, and they were living in a 63litre tank.
She then bought a 240litre tank for them and I decided to place two guppies in to condition the tank prior to the axies going in, but the stupid guppies had tonnes of babies :(
Thinking I had fished all the guppies and trillion baby guppies out I then allowed the tank to condition for a further week and a half and then I placed her axies in. Unbeknown to me a silly baby guppy (you can tell I'm no fan of these fish) survived and I think ate away at one of the axie gills and 3 weeks on she still has a bald gill! .... Thought they had fast regeneration >.<
This is the only thing wrong with her, and her male companion is also doing fine, so why is she taking forever to heal?
She did hatch a load of eggs on the 3rd of june so I'm wondering if thats had a determental affect to her health, as we think she may only be about six month old. (this was an unplanned pregnancy and we're gonna place a divider in the tank.)
Her young have their own tank and seem to be doing good.

Hi Stampysmam,

Axies do normally regenerate loss gill fimbriae uneventfully. Most importantly, ensure that the tank parameters are optimum (0 ammonia, nitrite, <60 nitrate) and the tank remains around a stable 18 degree celsius. A good balanced nutrition will also aid in faster recovery. A diet of live earthworms and blackworms can provide essential nutrients for the healing.

It is not recommended for young female axies (6mths) to be breeding. Ideally, they should be bred from around 1 and half years of age. Breeding depletes nutrients and energy resources and can take its toll on a yet fully matured female axie. A tank divider will be a good start although its not foolproof. Housing the axies separately will be the safest solution.

Cheers.

I had a female that had eggs too young as well, last year, she was about 10 months old. She lost a lot of condition after, her gills shortened and she seccumbed (sp?) to a fungal infection too.

She also managed to climb over the divider to the male and have a second batch of eggs two weeks later! If you have to use a divider (because of limited space, or lack of tanks!) make sure you lower the water level to at least an inch below the top of the divider. Also try to ensure you have at least 18 inches of space per axie.

Thankyou for your help, very much appreciated.
Well they certainly have ample room as the tank is well over four foot in length which is approx 63 gallons. (240 litres)
Its a bit confusing as english litres differs from american :/
We feed our axies blood worms. Although we feed them one frozen blood worm per night, we've tried to cut their food down as they are supposed to only feed every couple of days but they are always forage for food and seem more content on small portions per night.
The temperature has been a problem lately I'm forever placing ice packs in the tank and doing 50% ice cold water changes to maintain the temperature below 22c. I know living in England this is a very temporary heat wave we're having so hopefully these guys won't suffer too long with the heat.
We've only had these for 6 months so we're new to all of this, so all the help is very well appreciated.
The babies she had is housed within their own tank and we're feeding them daphnia.

Good luck with those babies :)

Be great to see some photos, of the proud parents and the offspring! ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back