Axolotl growth rate

Greewok

Reaction score
Country
United States
A little over 7 months ago I received some eggs that hatched within a couple weeks. Only 4 of them hatched, and they made it just fine.

I am kind of shocked that the ones that did hatch, are almost 7" now. Does this seem like some kind of radioactive growth rate? Their food source went from BBS > Daphnia > Chopped Blackworms > Blackworms > Frozen Blood Worms > Chopped Nightcrawler > Half Nightcrawlers currently.

I am feeding them every other day, and they look very healthy. I wouldn't call them fat, but they are pretty stout.

I would just attribute that to a good owner who can keep them healthy and fit with good nutrition and husbandry practices. ;)

Cheers

That is pretty damn beastly. Is that the kind of growth rate that someone should expect from your 'average' axolotl? If I take good care of my hopefully soon available axolotl, will it grow this quickly? Are your axolotls bigger than the average listed statistics overall (as far as width, etc.)?

That does seem like a phenominal growth rate and I too would like to know if I can expect something similar, i.e. 7 inches in 6 and a bit months.

Hi

My axie, Petrie, is around 11 months old and last time he was measured (close to a month ago now), he was 9 inches long...he also (as you put it so diplomatically!) is quite "stout"!

I feed him predominantly on live earthworms and live bloodworms.

Zoe x

Here's a pic I snapped tonight of him/her:

file_2567.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back