Question: Thinking about set-ups

bazil323

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, I'm knew to axolotls, and I am looking into what I would need should I decide to get one. Have no fear, I have made no plans on actually getting one yet. I have been active in fishkeeping for over a little a year, and I have really enjoyed getting to know the various fish that I've been taking care of and providing the best habitats for them. I know the importance of getting accurate information from people who have actually cared for the animal that I wish to get.

I have 1 spare tank that I believe may work, but I am concerned that it is a tall tank rather than long. It's 12 x12 (length and width) but the height is something like 25". I assume that I would only fill it with about 8-10" of water, but would that be too much? I think I read that axolotls need to be able to get to the surface to breathe, is that right? I don't care for that tank since it is so hard to nicely decorate it and provide a good amount of space for most things. I've kind of given up on it, and I may just get a different tank. What kind of space do these guys need? I only want 1 right now, I think. I definitely don't want to get into breeding.

I'm thinking that sand substrate would be best, given what I've read about gravel sometimes getting ingested and causing constipation. I think I want the white axolotls (not sure on what you'd call that) but not the albino. So, I think that a black substrate would look nice. I'd like to keep some plants in there, so perhaps Flourite Black Sand would work.

My main questions are:
1. Would the tank above be big enough, or should I think about getting one with a larger footprint? do number of gallons matter?
2. What exactly should I feed it? I have lots of kinds of frozen foods for my other fish, and I prefer frozen to prepared foods like flakes and pellets, but I do have algae wafers, NLS Spectrum, etc. for prepared foods.
3. Do they prefer no water movement or little water movement? I think that 1-2 sponge filters might be best if they don't like water movement?
4. Any major information I'm skipping besides temps? I know they like it to be cool. What is the ideal temperature in Fahrenheit?

I think your tank is catering to just 1 axolotl. You could fill up the tank or do 8" to 10" if you like. The Axolotl won't really need to gulp air if you have a oxygen flowing through the water. Aquatic plants help alot and a airstone wouldn't hurt. As far as filtration a sponge filter can do the job, or even an aquatic filter does nice. Axolotls don't need a high current in the water. Fast currents can stress out a axolotls gills. A slight current or no current is good.

Water levels are important nitrite and nitrate levels should be at 0. A good PH level would about 7.5, and ammonia levels should at a 0 aswell. Cycle your water, if you have a water test kit utilize it or go fetch one. For substrate either sand or no substrate will work well. Axolotls do swallow pebbles when feeding and that can cause death and other health problems. I feed my axolotl earthworms, blackworms and soft salomn pellts. If you want a total break down then check out www.axolotl.org a very intense website for axolotls.

Thanks! If I go with no substrate, should I paint the bottom (outside of course) of the tank to reduce glare? From what I understand, they are messy eaters, so no substrate would aid in cleaning, yes? Also, should I give spots like caves to hide in or would plant cover or something to burrow into?

From the tanks I've seen so far, it looks like some have very minimal decor for easy cleaning, but others have lots of plants and hiding places. Which is better? I like the looks of a nicely decorated and planted tank, but I also don't want to deal with hard to clean decor. I'm thinking of using anubias and Java fern tied to rocks or driftwood that I can easily move around.

Hi Bazil

If you have no substrate, you won't need to paint the bottom.

Hides are definately needed as axie's have no eyelids, so need dark places to hide in.

Personally, I have quite a few large stones in mine, plus hides and live plants - it does mean cleaning takes a bit longer as I have to lift up all the stones and clean under everything, but I think the end result is worth it :D. I generally feed earthworms to my axie, so they don't make any mess, but plant and general gunk still accumilates under things :(.

In regards to Jaymes' message above, ammonia and nitrite do have to be zero, however, I was under the impression that some nitrate is ok - no higher than 60 though? Perhaps someone could clarify this?

When you say 12 x 12, does that mean inches? Because an axie can grow to be 12 inches, so I'd be inclined to say you would need a bigger tank, unless it's for a juvie and would graduate onto a bigger tank?

Zoe x

Last edited:
Yes, 12 x 12 is inches. Hmm, good point about the size. I wasn't sure if they would be active enough to want a lot of room or not. Sounds like a longer and wider but less tall tank would be better.

Thanks for the Caudata culture page! I already found the other one, but it is good as well. The more I read about them, the less I think the tank and conditions I've got would work. I think I'll have to wait until our temp in the house is more stable and I have a tank with more floor space. Thanks for the help guys!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back