Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Live food entertainment

crazyspotty

Reaction score
Aright, so iv got my 2 tanks set up. 1x160L with 2 wild types and 1 white axolotl
and one 60L tank with my golden baby, I called him Lion, he's my special :D

I've been thinking of suitable ways to provide entertainment for these guys, some sort of live food show, anyone got any ideas on anything that would be good for live food, eg. something they have to chase, I've been told guppies, but don't they harbour parasites?

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi crazyspotty,

Axies don't require live entertainment. If you want to offer environemental enrichment, i would suggest offering different hiding spots wether in the form of pipes, caves, tunnels, pots, urns or strategically planted aquatic plants.

You can however keep a small number of fish (coldwater live bearers - minnows) or freshwater shrimp in the main tank. These will become a live food source. You would have to quarantine all feeder fish or shrimp for a minimum of 30 days in a different tank before you put them in your axie tank.

Cheers.

crazyspotty

Reaction score
Ah, all right. I've got a baby axolotl in quarantine at the moment. Would it be all right to quarantine a couple of guppies in the same tank with my other new arrival?

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
HI,

No its not appropriate to house your new guppies with the new axie in the quarantine tank. If you run out of space, you can safely quarantine your axie by putting it in a tub in the fridge. You cannot put the guppies in the fridge though.

Cheers.

Markw

Reaction score
If you were to quarentine the axie with the guppies at the same time, wouldnt that completely defeat the purpose? Quarentining is done to make sure nothing is carrying anything harmful into your tank. If something happened when you added your guppies into the tank that you were quarentning the axie in, you wouldnt know which had the parasites, then youd end up having to separate and requarentine them both. Quarentine the axie, then the food. Or take Darkmaverick's advice. It is usually very good to take.

Mark

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1