live food prep

crazyspotty

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
how many guppies would i have to quarantine and add to my main tank to create a substantial supply of feeder fish for my 3 axolotl?

Hi again,

I would recommend what you do is to breed your guppies in a separate tank altogether. House male and female guppies in a tank set up most conducively for them and provide some water plants etc. That would ensure the best breeding outcome.

You can then also control how many guppies and whether males or females, be placed in your axie tank. I recommend that you put in guppies of a single sex each time. If there are male and female guppies in the main tank, and an elusive pair evades being captured, they can breed in the tank. The downsides to this is that some guppies are prolific breeders and there is a chance that their breeding rate surpass their being eaten rate. This can cause overstocking in the tank, leading to water parameter problems.

How many guppies going into the axie tank depends on the size of the tank as well. For a start, i would go for around 3-5 guppies.

Cheers

Oh sweet ,that sounds like its good advice.
I have one tank that I'm using to quarantine my new goldie. I'm just going to wait until his quarantine time is done then I'll buy some guppies for it and use the same tank and move my gold one to the big tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back