i'm getting my 2 Axolotl tomorrow or friday

SmartBartje

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I was just wondering. I'm getting em tomorrow or friday and they're 4-5 cm long. Kinda small still, 2 months old.

I was wondering if the tank with water should be completely full or should I keep the water low for a while considering they're so small?

Thanks in advance! :D

At that size, I'd keep them in a large bowl (or tupperware dish). It's a lot easier to monitor their food and such in a smaller container.

Plus, this gives you time to make sure your tank is all set! Have you cycled it? Got all your hides set up?

Kaysie is right.

Keep them in a small container with a secure lid (air-holed, of course)

Change the water AT LEAST twice daily with fresh dechlorinated (don't use tap water alone, even if you've had it standing as this does not remove some of the heavy metals) water at the same temperature.

Is your tank cycling at the moment? Do you have live plants? A source of ammonia?

Mine have always been ok with 1 100% water change per day

Mel

So, they're coming tomorrow. My tank is fully cycled and yes, I've got live plants in em. So I should keep em in a seperate tank for a while? :)

I really think its your choice. They may be a little small for such a big tank, and will be easier to feed in a smaller one whilst they grow.

They've finally arrived and they're so cute! I've put em in a smaller tank so feeding em would be way easier. So thanks for the advice!

*in love*

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back