Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: 4 axies in a 4ft tank

RICH123

Reaction score
Hello,
I currently have 4 axies in a 4ft by 1ft tank. There seems to be no problems so far I was just wondering if anyone keeps 4 in a simular size setup. The biggest axie is about 11 inches and he is fully grown. Do you lot think this is ok.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I have a four foot tank as well. I have one full grown axie, a similar size to yours and two juvies of around 7 - 8 inches. I'm hoping to find another male to add to the tank, so then I too will have four.

I have heard people say you can have more than this in a four foot tank, but four would be my limit. I think as long as you have plenty of hiding places/plant cover then they should be fine.

Of course, the more axies, the more 'waste', the more cleaning up to be done, but we don't mind this hey?

Any chance of pics of your four?

Markw

Reaction score
I also have my four in a 48''x12" tank. They seem to love it. I recently purchased two GFPs that will do in there until I get a bigger tank. I find that with enough food and enough hides, you should be okay. I wouldnt say keeping more than 4-5 in a tank this size either. Mine dont seem to mind for the moment though. I think it also depends on the size of your axies. My new wild GFP I call ginormosaur, I think will be my largest. If you have small adults, I think you coulc keep more in the space provided than if all our axies were to be 10+" a piece.

Mark

ianclick

Reaction score
Me too,

I have two four foot tanks with four axolotls in each and no hassles at all.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've also kept similarly stocked tanks, albeit with smaller axolotls (7-8") and not had any problems.

captinhowdy

Reaction score
I feel better about my 2 in my 2ft tank now. I was worried it was too small, but if you all have 4 in a 4ft tank, mine should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

RICH123

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,
yes I feel better as well I didn't think the tank was over crowded but its good to be reassured.
Thanks again.

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Hmmmm....

I have only one axie (a leucistic) in a tank that is 32 inches x 15inches. I am wanting to get a melanoid or wildtype, but assumed I would need to get a larger tank first. From reading the info above, am I right in assuming this won't be neccessary?

Zoe x

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
I have two axies in a tank a little smaller than yours Zoe so I think you should be fine :D
I do a 20% water change and cleanup every two days though to make sure all is ok.

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
You do a 20% change every other day? But that's 70% a week, which seems quite a lot? Do you have a filter? And how many litres is your tank (mine is 110 litres)?

Zo x

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Yes I have a filter. well It is about 10-15% water change most likely. There is always waste to clean though as well as pieces of plants etc. I don't have to worry about chlorine in the water or anything as we have our own well. Only problem I have with the well water is the iron in it promotes hair algae in my aquarium but the axie tank seems fine. The tank is 84.87litres (30x12x14).
Maybe I am cleaning it too much but I have had no problems with my axies (except Bud who got fungus when he left quarantine to meet Bob) and they eat well and look healthy...

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Jadore,

Actually i think you are doing great. It is better to do frequent small water changes than one big one. A 10% water change every alternate day coupled with siphoning up detritus is a good way to keep your tank well maintained without drastic fluctuations. Just be careful not to overscrub the tank surfaces that will remove beneficial bacteria.

Cheers.

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Thanks Rayson,
I actually don't clean any surfaces in the tank only siphon debris and change 10% of the water. I think we kind of veered off of the thread topic...

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Ah right, I actually do a similar thing - I syphon out around 3 litres of water with any plant or food debris that I find - I do this normally 5 days a week - then I give the tank a proper clean on the 6th day, lifting up EVERYTHING and taking out around 25% of the water...and then, like in the Bible, on the 7th day I rest....and play on the playstation.

To be honest, I may still get a bigger aquarium - I'm thinking, spend some serious money and get a 4-5 foot one, so that Petrie and his new friend would feel like they were loose in a lake :D

Plus, then I have room, in case I start "needing" a wildtype ;)

Zo x

Kerry1968

Reaction score
That made me smile Zoe, I really 'need' a wildtype too!
I have upgraded Lotties tank to a 3 foot and the boys have had another remodelling of their tank (photos to follow on my profile soon), so I could probably get another axie in there, loads of hiding places now! My other half is not so keen on more axies though.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Kerry, what your other half doesn't know....

Just sneak them in without any fuss, and they'll never know!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1