Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaysie
(Courtesy of Herp Digest)

Since 2007 Laws Concerning The Collecting And Possession Of Native Reptiles And
Amphibians In New York State Has Gone Through Some Major Changes.

Basically in NYS it is illegal to collect or own any species of reptile or amphibian
that is native to that state without a permit. But there has been confusion over the
interpretation of the law: for example, when people bring into NYS herps that are native
in CT and NY, but legal to have in CT. Is that herp illegal once it passes into NYS.
Answer according to DEC is yes, unless you contact them for a special permit.

To try to answer some of these questions and bring up others, the New York Turtle and
Tortoise Society on its website has published an overview of New York State‘s native
reptile and amphibian Laws. http://nytts.org/nytts/DEC_regs.htm

Within it you will find links to the text of the current law, a pdf file of the status
of all animals in New York State and other related documents.

READ THEM.

READ THEM SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back