Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

need help with landscaping!!!

gcollin

Reaction score
I remodeled my tiger salamanders tank last night, with more live plants, a bigger water bowl, and a water fall! The waterfall was working today but just now stopped. I can hear it trying to push water, but it won't. I think my salamander pooped next to it, and then it sucked up the poop and clogged. So, how do I get the poop out? It has no screws or any way to open it (that I can see).

Last edited by a moderator:

jclee

Reaction score
Make sure you turn it off ASAP. If it keeps struggling to run without water pumping through it, there's a good chance you'll burn out the motor. If there's really no way to dismantle it, you might try scraping the water intake tubes/parts out with a pipecleaner, which will remove any "muck" that's in there. (Stores with decent aquarium supplies sell brushes for this purpose that you can use if you've got one handy, but a pipecleaner works in a pinch.)

Beyond that, I might need to know more about the filter. Unfortunately, many of them are made to be replaced, rather than fixed, when problems arise. Good luck.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm confused as to why you have a water feature in your tiger salamander tank. Adult tiger salamanders are fully terrestrial, and need nothing more than a basic water dish.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Salamander poop isn't tough enough to clog a pump. But stray pieces of substrate might do it. You might also try spraying the pump with a strong spray of water (while unplugged, of course).

gcollin

Reaction score
Kaysie it is a show tank.

Jennewt it was making a funny noise (like it was really trying to start) but it stopped now.
Would a spray bottle be enough to unclog it or not?.

:kill:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't thinking of a spray bottle. I was thinking of a faucet running full tilt. Perhaps with a finger used to restrict the faucet flow into a small, powerful stream.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you didn't unplug it, and it has 'stopped making noise', sounds like the motor's burnt out. Most (all?) aquarium pumps and filters are water-cooled, and without water running through them, they easily overheat and burn out.

And it still concerns me about having a waterfall in a tank. Tiger salamanders have been known to drown in even shallow water features. If you have a water feature big enough to have a waterfall, it sounds dangerous.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1