Poison Glands

I think ALL amphibians have poison glands ( I think they are called Serous glands).

I found this so hopefully this will clear it up.

Cutaneous glands of all living amphibians usually belong to four main types located in the spongious dermis: mucous, serous (granular or poison), lipid (or wax), and mixed (seromucous) glands.

Duellmann and Trueb, 1994; Brizzi et al., 2002.

Last edited:
Some caudates have granular glands located on certain part of the body such as the parotid glands near the neck region. They can produce poisonous secretions. However, i am not sure if axies had them. So far from my reading, i have not come across of granular glands in the axie.

If the goal was to deter potential predators (unpalatability), i would be thinking more along the lines of mucous glands that are distributed all over the body that produces a slimy secretion. This secretion facilitates respiration, keeps the skin moist, has an immune function like a protective barrier and can also lends its unpalatability.

Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back