Unusual Behaviour

mandygurl

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've had a Tiger Salamander for about 4-5 months and recently he has become very lethargic. All he does is lay in the corner of his tank and occasionally tries to climb up the glass. He does not have much of an appetite but is still eating. This has been going on for about 2 weeks. Any suggestions of what i can do to make him feel better or is this behavior normal?:confused:

Salamanders are not the most active animals to begin with - can you go into more detail about what you mean by lethargic? My tiger salamander will stay in the same location for long periods of time, only moving when it suspects meal time is approaching, ie it notices me walking by its enclosure.
Also, can you describe the enclosure - whats your substrate, temperature, and light? What are you feeding and how often?
The behavior you are noticing now may be normal, especially with temperatures increasing in the warmer summer months. As long as your animal continues to eat and maintain normal body weight I do not think you have too much to be concerned about.

Heather

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back