Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl not moving- is it dying?? HELP!!!

Vee

Reaction score
Im new to the site and new to caring for axolotls. We have two teenage axolotls, one black, one white.

We have had Axle and Lotle for 4 months now, we check the water quality, have a good canister filter (without too much current) we provide a dark place for them to hide, feed them pellets every two days and dont have any small gravel in the tank.

Today I woke to seeing Lotle (our white axi) not moving much and with no appetite. This afternoon when I got home, Lotle was in the same position. Its gills are still moving, but seems to be unable to swim.

Is Lotle dying? What can I do to help it? HELP!! We love our Axolotls and I dont want Lotle to die.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Moved to the axolotl section - this was posted in the intro section.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
How do you know Lotle can't swim? She may be moving around quite happily when you're not watching!

Axies are quite lazy creatures and will find a place they like and stay there for a long time, my big male does!

Have you tried different food? How long since Lotle has eaten? Wriggly earthworms will often tempt a reluctant axie.

What are your water parameters? Temperature, Ph, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia?

Does Lotle show any signs of stress? Curled gills? Curled tail tip?

Vee

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I think you were right! Ive returned to see her swiming happily around the tank again! Phew! I was really worred there for a minute. I have always seen them being active and rather curious. As soon as I approach the tank they usually come to the surface in search for food or just to say hello! (cute) (So, to see her be so inactive was a bit of a scare.)

Im never had water animals as pets before so everything is a learning curve.

Do you know what the correct water PH and temperature levels for axies are?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Vee,

If you haven't already done so, i recommend you read up about axies via the following links.

http://www.axolotl.org/

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles_axolotl.shtml

Axies do best around water temperatures between 16-18 degree celsius. At this temperature range, they are comfortable yet lively enough to feed and provide enjoyment. Temperatures beyond 22 degrees is stressful and can cause illness and death if over a prolonged period. Axies can tolerate cold temperatures well so it isn't so much an issue compared to heat. Temperatures below 10 degree celsius can occasionally cause food regurgitation due to lower rates of food digestion. These take the form of a mucus covered bolus.

In terms of pH, axies are quite resilient over a pH range of 6.5-8, however neutral around 7 is ideal. As such, you should try aim for neutral pH as much as possible. Higher pH can increase toxicity of some nitrogenous waste products. The pH can also influence the types and proportion of bacteria growing in the tank. In general, with both pH and temperature, you want to aim for stability.

Other more important parameters to watch out for are ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. You should invest in a colourimetric solution type test kit and perform regular water testing. In a well cycled and maintained tank, you should get 0 ammonia and nitrites and less than 60 nitrates.

Cheers.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Vee Welcome to the site,

I agree with Kerry, axolotls aren't normally very active except for feeding and breeding they do alot of lying around.

Vee

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys,

I still feel like there is something wrong with Lotle, This morning I notice that she seems to be off balance and is begining to show signs of stress like the cirled tail.

I will buy a testing kit to check all the relevant water levels -
The water temp is at 17 degrees, and the other axolotl is behaving normally.

How can I tell what is wrong with her?

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Vee,

As with most animals it is a process of elimination, there are definates like fungus otherwise its largely trial and error.

First step is usually water quality and temperature. So once you have a testing kit you will know if this is the cause. From your description it sounds like a stress related thing which will still need further investigation.

Have you added anything to your habitat lately or any other significant routine changes?

Vee

Reaction score
The only thing I have changed is the filter - we have a mini canister filter - however the current is not stong (we use the spray bar)

I think I need to test the water quality. She is still not looking the best. She is swimming vertically and stops to rest quite a bit. Her gills are still moving but not as often as they did before.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1