Very Sick Salamander-please help!

randallsmommy

Reaction score
Country
United States
My yellow spotted salamander Randall is sick. Within the last 2 days he has been acting weird, he doesn't burrow he sits out in the open. His skin looks dull, not shiny like it normally is, he isn't dehydrated I have been keeping him wet as usual, and he has been going in his little bathtub. His right eye is partially closed and when he breathes he makes little popping sounds every once in awhile, which leads me to believe respiratory infection. I am devasated, I love the little guy.

Randall is about a year old and 4 inches long, I haven't changed anything and he has been perfectly healthy until a couple days ago. The only thing I could think of was maybe before I cleaned his tank on Saturday there was mold in it? That is the only possible thing I can think of. I can't find any info anywhere on what to do! i just want to make him better, he is a member of our family.

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

How warm is the tank? What kind of substrate are you using? What do you feed it? Is it eating normally? Has the texture of the skin changed (say from smooth to rough)?

His tank is room temp maybe a little warmer about 75 degrees and I mist it a few times a day, there is a cover on it so it stays humid. He has the very fine coconut fiber substrate which I soak a little before I change his tank. He eats crickets and mealies, he hasn't been eating like he normally does, usually I put a couple small crickets in there and within a day he's eaten them. His skin is rougher looking, not smooth and shiny like it normally is and he doesn't look as plump.

I kind of estimated the temp. My husband just brought him out to somebody who knows a lot about reptiles and stuff. He told us to pull out Randall's substrate and we have him on damp papertowels and the middle of his tank where it dips down is filled with water.

It's too warm. This species should be kept cool, no more than 70F. All the time.

Have you provided him hiding spots in the new setup? If it can't burrow, it needs places to hide.

I would venture to say that we have a husbandry issue going on that has led to this condition. I agree, placing him in a hospital tank for now is the best. I would suggest:

1. Lower the temperature as others have suggested.
2. Use moistened nonbleached paper towels as the substrate. A few paper towels covering the bottom of the tank is sufficient. Use dechlorinated/dechloraminated water or spring water to moisten toweling. Change the toweling every other day or more frequently if it becomes soiled.
3. Place a hide in the tank or use crumpled moistened paper toweling as hides. He must have a place to retreat since he can't burrow.
4. He does not need to be kept "wet" or in a high humidity environment. This can and will lead to disease. The key is a moist, not wet environment. The middle of his tank should not be filled with water. If you want to use a shallow water dish that is fine but fill it with spring water or dechlorinated/dechloraminated water.
5. If your tank top is glass, get rid of it. Use a wire mesh screen top that allows for good air circulation. Too high a humidity without circulation/stagnant air breeds problems.
6. Keep him in a dark, cool area away from sunlight or artificial light....he needs to de-stress as he appears ill.
7. Handle him only if needed to change his substrate.
8. See if he will eat earthworms or pieces of nightcrawler which is the perfect food.

I've changed his tank and the temp. is lower. I put some moss at one end for him to hide in but he has just been sitting on top (which he has only done since he has been sick). He is on moist paper towel with his dish to soak in at the other end of his tank. His tank is in a dark cool area too. I tried digging for some worms last night but didn't find any. There is nowhere around here that sells them :( He doesn't look better or worse, pretty much the same and he is still making little popping sounds when he breathes.

This isn't sounding good. The popping noises probably indicate a respiratory infection. You would probably need to apply antibiotics systemically for this, and you'd almost certainly need a vet for this. There is some slim hope that he can recover on his own. It sounds like you are doing the right things, to the extent of what you can do at home.

The most likely places to purchase nightcrawlers are at Walmart (ask in the fishing dept.) or at bait shops. Some gas stations sell live bait (even here in the desert where I live!). I'm sure you have them, but they are probably sold in places you are not accostomed to shopping.

This may be a stupid question but what about a salt bath? Would this help him in any way? I've read about salt baths for salamanders with infections.

I'm not sure what cold have caused a respiratory infection in the poor little guy, I hadn't done anything differently since I got him. I am going to try Wal-Mart for some worms and I do know of a vet around here that treats reptiles and I am really hoping they know something about salamanders.

The symptoms you are describing are not an indication for salt baths. These are used for external parasite infections, topical fungus infections and to treat bloat/impaired kidney function. I would not use these for what you are describing - would lead to further stress without benefit.

A vet is your best bet if you can find one that knows about sals. Here is another source of herp vets in MA: http://www.herpvetconnection.com/mass.shtml

My little baby didn't make it. I'm so sad.

RIP Randall :(

That's too bad. I'm sorry for your loss.

Im sorry to hear that. It is hard to lose a caudate. I have lost a couple myself. Some people think "It's just a salamander" but usually they mean more than that to thier keepers.

You are right caudatadude28, Randall was just as much of a family member as our other pets and we loved him very much.

Randallsmommy,

I am just reading this for the first time. I am so sorry you went through that with your little guy. I totally understand how they are members of the family. I know how devestating it is when you lose one. My thoughts are with you tonight!

Peace,

Critter Mom

Randallsmommy,
I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. I lost one of my own little ones recently, and it is so painful. Randall was obviously loved very much, and was lucky to have you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back