Question: injured vertebrae in tail

jeangenie149

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Jean
This is my first post and would appreciate some help please. I have two Axolotls tand the male seems to have injured his tail about 1 inch (approx 2.5cm) from the end. It has kink and I think he must have dislocated a verebrae as there is a little lump on one side. He had a little red spot also, which by reading FAQ I have discovered that it is a burst blood vessel. I don't know how he came to damage it. Both Axolotls are approx 7-7 1/4 inches ( about 18 cm)and are in a 24 foot tank. Thanks for any help

I'm not sure what the correct procedure would be in a case like this.

I'm thinking though as axies regenerate that this may not be too much of a problem for him.

If you are concerned you could always fridge him to aid healing.

Is he still eating as normal? Any signs of stress? Is water chemistry good?

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Hi Kerry Thanks for the quick reply. He is eating ok, and the water is ok. I did wonder if he is stressed as did has started doing someting strange. I have a filter at one end of the tank and he puts one arm and leg out on the glass and the other arm and leg on the side of the filter ( imagine climbing inside a lift shaft)and makes his way to just under the water and lays there stetched out, but he is not floating. He seems quite happy just being there. He does come down after a little while and is always with the female. They were bought as a pair as a mothers day gift for me! (My idea). They were just over 4 inches in size when I bought them and now they are just about 7 -71/4 inches. I did not know I had a male an d female until recently. I did know they regenerate some parts and can heal themselves. What is this about putting him in the fridge?That seems a bit drastic. can you tell me something about it please. I really don't thing I could do that to him. Thanks again

If it doesn't appear to be getting any worse, I'd gather it was a nip from the tank-mate.

As for fridging, there are numerous posts about it on here. It's perfectly safe, healthy, and recommended for the treatment of various axolotl ailments.

Hi Kaysie Thank you for your comments. Its nice to know people out there. It's reassuring.

Hi Magpie,

I agree that it is likely a bite injury and should heal reasonably quickly. I have one question about the size of your tank, you have put down a 24 foot tank so I was wondering what size you meant.

Hi Ianclick. .Thanks for your reply. The size of the tank for the Axolotls is 24 inches long ( oops I realize now I made a mistake yesterday calling it foot) x12 x12 inches. It holds 60 litres . I fill it to about 4 inches from the top. The axololts tail seems to be straightening out a bit now, so I am hoping it will go back to normal, and it was nothing more serious.

Sorry, you said your tank was 24 inches, but in the last post you put it was 12x12 inches? Does that mean it is a square tank? If it's a 2 foot long tank then that'd be OK for two axies, if it's only 12 inches long then it'd be too small. Could you clarify? Sorry to keep on about your tank size!

Last edited:
I think they mean it's 24x12x12. This is a bit small for 2 axolotls. You can keep two if you're really diligent about water quality and provide a lot of hides. But you'd be better off upgrading to a bit bigger tank.

Hi Kerry Thank you for your reply. The correct size of the tank is 24 inches long x 12 inches high x 12 inches wide and I do regular water changes, plus I do water checks. They have a tunnel which is used frequently. I don't think they will get much larger, of course if they do I will get a larger tank.

Hi Kelsie Thank you for your reply. You are correct the tank size is 24 x 12 x 12. I do change the water regularly and do water checks. Of course if needed I would upgarde to a larger tank, but this size was recommended for two Axolotls. They seem quite happy in there. I keep a close eye on them and that is why I was concerned about the males tail, which seems to be recovering. Thank you all for your help and advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back