any one here know about fish?

gcollin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
collin
so first off any mods please do not be mad with me i know this is in the wrong section but it is urgent.

today after i changed my (6 year old) tiger barb's water. when i was bringing her back to her cage she jumped out of the cup she was in. when i got her back to her cage she was floating upside down, (but breathing) she did this for a while then started to swim. please tell me what is wrong.

-Collin

(please do not get mad about bad grammer or anything, i threw this together in about 2 minutes)

If it's swimming around then it sounds like it is fine to me.

It only takes 2 more seconds to add capital letters. ;)

I think her swim bladder is damaged. I am hoping this is not the problem because it is hard to cure.

No justin her swimming around does mean she is fine :D.

-Collin

What does it have to do with fish???
And why are you keeping a tiger salamander with an aquatic area????

What azheal. My tiger sal is in a terrestrial tank, and this has everything to do with fish.

I am soooooo confused.

I am talking about a tiger barb not a tiger salamander.
A tiger barb is a kind of tropical tetra.

-Collin

xDDDDDDD
I just realized xDD
Sorry :p

(please do not get mad about bad grammer or anything, i threw this together in about 2 minutes)

Urgency still isn't an excuse to use "text speak." I understand that your need for information is urgent, but if people can't read your post there's no way they'll be able to help. I know there are several members that frequent fish forums, etc. Hopefully they'll be able to give you some advice.

Here's my input- when fish are shocked/tired they can sometimes have difficulty keeping themselves upright. Once they get a chance to rest, they return to normal.

Good Luck!

Hi! I have two tropical aquariums as well as a separate tank for my axolotl.

I would say if your barb is swimming normally that it is most probably fine. Upside down fish often indicate a problem with the swim bladder, but if this was the case, your fish certainly wouldn't have been able to swim normally. My guess is the poor thing was just a little shocked. Keep an eye on it over the next few days just to check it's okay. But I think you'll have no problems as a result of this accident. Barbs are quite robust.

Urgency still isn't an excuse to use "text speak." I understand that your need for information is urgent, but if people can't read your post there's no way they'll be able to help. I know there are several members that frequent fish forums, etc. Hopefully they'll be able to give you some advice.

Here's my input- when fish are shocked/tired they can sometimes have difficulty keeping themselves upright. Once they get a chance to rest, they return to normal.

Good Luck!

The fish was still upside down when i made this thread, so i was scared, and i did not use any "text talk".
-Collin

If anyone is still refering to this: Tiger Barbs are not tetras; If he swims normally after a few minutes he'll most likely be fine, barring a later bacterial or fungal infection; And finally, you should really not take your fish out of the tank while doing your water changes.

My fish book says tiger barbs are tetras.
The fish was in a little one gallons tank, at the time so I had to take it out while changing the water.
And to anyone planning to reply to this, the fish died from it jumping out of the tank.

-Collin

Sorry to hear about your fish passing. Just for clarification, barbs are in the family Cyprinidae, along with carp, goldfish, and true minnows; tetras are in the family Characidae, along with pacus and piranhas. The two families are related, and many small cyprinids look much like small characids.

Tiger barbs would be a little sensitive to nitrates. Unlike bettas, they probably won't do too well with 100% water changes, and should be kept in already cycled water.

Here's a link that explains the nitrogen cycle in a fishtank:
http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

That site also has a decent fish-specific forum and species-specific caresheets. It's worth checking out if you decide that you want to try keeping fish again. There's another fish forum that has a specific section called "tiny tanks" that could help you decide what animals would be suitable for the 1 gallon that you have, and it could help you set it up:
http://www.petfish.net/forum/index.php?board=7.0

A tank of that size could be used to house one male betta, or a couple of red cherry shrimp (which are quite beautiful!) You might want to look into small filters to keep it running, depending on the species that you stock it with.

Good luck with your fish in the future. I'm sorry that your barb didn't make it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back