Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: Oh no, poor Draco on ebay

esoteric

Reaction score
I'v just come across this ebay listing and shuddered at the possibilities. I have emailed the seller as below and hope the seller takes appropriate action. Perhaps one or 2 friendly emails might help. Maybe I should have asked the seller to direct potential buyers to axolotl.org. Perhaps someone else might do that.

My email:

I wish I could travel to North Yorkshire to take Draco, but I can't. I really wish you would edit your advert though so that whoever does buy him realises it's not only cruel to force metamorphose an axolotl, it is almost always fatal to the axie too. Some pokemon fan might buy him thinking they really can "evolve" Draco. I will forward a complaint to ebay if this listing is not edited but I'm sure this will not be necessary. Sorry if I come across as a busy body, but I think you will concede that Draco's well being is the important thing here.

(I hope I've done the right thing. In hindsight perhaps I should have just asked them to remove the offensive paragraph.)

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I always thought its illegal to sell live animals through ebay. I am surprised to see that the post was permitted.

Fumi

Reaction score
I don't know about it being illegal. A lot of marine fish can be bought on ebay. So long as people are sensible on how they deliver the animals, then I don't see how it's any different to buying from any other online store.

However, not only would I be worried about Draco being forced to metamorphose, I'm concern that someone would think it neat to chop off a leg to see it grow back. Sometimes I think it should be compulsory to qualify an exam before you can own certain species. Just to be sure that you are a responsible owner and you know what you're getting yourself into. There would be far less unwanted pets as a result. Sigh.

Abrahm

Reaction score
I always thought its illegal to sell live animals through ebay. I am surprised to see that the post was permitted.

It's not illegal but it is against eBay policies. You can use the report this item link to bring it to the attention of the administrators. eBay doesn't approve posts but runs on community self regulation. Reported axolotls for sale have been revoked in the past.

esoteric

Reaction score
I'm not actually against the selling of axies on ebay, there is actually someone from Leicester who seems to be selling quite responsibly at the moment. He/she refuses to post because they have no previous experience at it. Self regulation is fine with me. Anyone wishing to do their bit, can create and save an axolotl search on ebay they will be notified each time there's a new listing and they can check it out.

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Esoteric

It might be a good idea for you to direct Draco's owners to this site instead of ebay - they could then pop Draco on the for sale section here and he would be rehomed with people who know about axies....the seller's may not listen to you, but at least you would have tried :eek:.

Zoe x

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
In fact, I think I will email them, to tell them about this site AND point out that their axie looks seriously underweight, so if they don't sell it, they may want to think about feeding it once in a while :(

x

esoteric

Reaction score
I need to spread the green stuff around before I can rep you again Zoe. That sounds like a pretty direct email. BTW, you're really scary when you get cross, how come they haven't made you a Mod here yet?

Markw

Reaction score
There was a gold that just sold on the US ebay site too. I thought only small animals like fish and inverts could be sold here, so I guess a juvie axie would fall under being small enough. I wanted to urge the seller not to sell him, but I had no access to ebay as I was not home when it ended. Poor axie..

Mark

Mark

esoteric

Reaction score
Here's the reply I just received:

Hi im sorry that my listing offends you, but i can assure you that what i have written is actually true, and if you would care to read my listing again you will see that i have also written that not in a million years would i do this, but i was simply stating a fact. Which is really a rather interesting fact to know to anyone who may wish to buy my Draco! I have kept and bred marine fish and tropical fish for over 15 years, not only do i put everything into any animal i have, but i also reasearch every last detail of any animal i keep! Like i said i am sorry if my listing offends you in any way, but i was simply telling the life and amazing factors of owning an axelotl which have been a talking point in my house for years, of which i am merely trying to get any possible bidder interested and to not just buy Draco as a pet, but as a lovley, strange, different member of the family!! Thank you.

I have to draft a complaint to ebay now.

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I need to spread the green stuff around before I can rep you again Zoe. That sounds like a pretty direct email. BTW, you're really scary when you get cross, how come they haven't made you a Mod here yet?

Hahahaha, EXCELLENT! Am I really?!? :D

LOL, I don't know if the exclusive quality they look for in a moderator is scariness...thank you though!

I have just emailed them....sure I will get a snotty email back too - you have to wonder though, if they're so adept at keeping axolotls, why have they not noticed how emaciated Draco is?!?! Grrrrr....

X

Markw

Reaction score
Like i said i am sorry if my listing offends you in any way, but i was simply telling the life and amazing factors of owning an axelotl
If he wanted to post amazing factors, how about the needs that the axolotl needs in order to thrive, ya know..like what to feed and water conditions? Maybe thats too sensible.
which have been a talking point in my house for years,
The posting says its only 6 months old?

I hate owners like this.

Mark

Kerry1968

Reaction score
This poor axie is now relisted on Ebay. I have sent the following message to the seller:

Do you know that your axolotl is severely emaciated? Perhaps you would be better off trying to find out how to take care of it properly than trying to sell a malnourished animal. Maybe then you could pass on useful information to prospective owners rather than trying to sensationalise the axolotl with stories about metamorphasising and limb regeneration.

Do you think they're going to get fed up with being bombarded with messages from angry axolotl owners?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
LOL, I don't know if the exclusive quality they look for in a moderator is scariness

We are oppressive ogres.

As far as the Ebay thing. The best way to change people's minds it to not tell them they're doing something wrong. That is, gently encourage them to do something different without it sounding like they're doing something wrong.

Point them here! Tell them there's a whole community dedicated to these weird little guys, and as a (not so great but still somewhat curious) axolotl owner, he'd fit right in.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Uhh sorry Kaysie, but this really got my back up and I have sent the above message already.

Of course you are right and knowledge is a great thing, but a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, as this axolotl owner shows.

Yes, I should have steered them here, if not for themselves then for the future owner.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

I just lost my rag at the sight of the poor skinny animal.

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
LOL, I did a very similar thing a few hours ago - my email was as follows -

Hello, please can you remove the paragraph in your advert for Draco, regarding the forced morphing into a terrestrial salamander - if this is attempted, it would likely kill him. Additionally, if you don't sell him, please consider feeding him more as he looks very malnourished - a diet of live earthworms and bloodworms would be suitable. I would advise that you check this site: http://www.caudata.org/index.php as they have a for sale section for amphibians, so you can find him a loving home - so, if you don't sell your axie, you can at least learn to care for him properly. Thanks

That didn't sound too snidey, right? Ron, did it scare you? :D

Kerry, when you say it's been relisted, does that mean Ron reported it and it was removed and then she has just reposted it?

Zo x

ianclick

Reaction score
Well done everyone,

However I fear that you are trying to open a closed mind. The person with Draco makes several inaccurate statements about axolotls being dragons and fish yet claims to have researched and have a sound knowledge base "I also reasearch every last detail of any animal i keep!" Yeah Right that would be why they can't spell axolotl and call it a dragon fish, I believe they also have amazing powers of alchemy and can fly if given the chance to grow wings.

This seller is clearly a clown and a shocking sales person.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I can totally understand where you guys are coming from, and I'm not ragging on you for trying. But like (the Mighty Wise) Ian said, you're trying to open a closed mind.

Hopefully he comes to his senses and comes here, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Fumi

Reaction score
I wish that I lived near by so I could collect him. Hmmm... North Yorkshire is a silly place to sell axies from. They should all sell local to me. :nono: Shame there isn't someone on this site who is in Northallerton who could rescue him. We can only hope that whoever he does end up with is more responsible than his current "keeper" and knows the basics of animal care. ie. you need to feed them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1