Question: Do Leucistic Axolotls look....

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do Leucistic (white) Axolotls look like wild types until they are adults (12 months)? Some of the pictures I've seen make the leucistic seem white even when they are little. Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks.

Also, does anyone know about the site: buy-axolotls.com? Good, bad?

Hi! I'm not sure what you mean about wild type. Isn't this dark/green/yellow/brown sort of colours? I have a young leucistic. Here's a photograph of her nosing around her tank. I don't know for sure that she is female. I just prefer not to call her an 'it'. Hope this helps.

^_^

Attachments

• fIMG_1844.gif
    fIMG_1844.gif
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,494
The wild types are the greenish brown ones. I'm looking for a Leucistic and a site I went to said that they look like wild types until they reach about 12 months of age, and then they turn white. How old was yours when you got it (or how big)? Did it have green spots?

I appreciate your reply. Thanks!

They look like wild when they hatch. They start loosing pigment quite young. My 3" ones all look pretty much like they will as adults only smaller.

I got mine about two weeks ago. Someone on here guessed that she's between 6 months to a year. Someone else guessed between 6 - 8 months. She was about 3.5" when I got her, but I think she's grown an inch and a bit since then. I hope that's not too fast!

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure!! Your Axolotl is so cute! I can't wait to get one!!!

Thanks! I know she is! *Girly squeal* :love:

Good luck getting your baby ^_^

Leucistics look marginally like wildtypes when they first hatch, but within a week, you can usually pick the leucistics out from the wildtypes. You can certainly differentiate by the time they're 2 or 3cm long. They are white all throughout their development. They don't magically change color when they reach a year of age.

If Leucistic axolotls are grown towards the top of their temperature range they grow fast and become white as Michael and Kaysie describe.

If grown cool and slowly they may show increasing pigmentation until at least 12cm (5 inches) which then seems to be deep in the skin and fades on increasing growth again resulting in a white adult.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back