Dead eggs?

2inkaha

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Cola
Hi Guys.....

Gee its been a while (my fault). Well my George layed alot of eggs about a month ago, (my first time). The thing is I think that they maybe dead, they started to grow in there little sacks, watching them transform was amazing, the thing is none have hatched? How long dose it usually take? I think that my george maybe preggys again the way her tummy is starting to swell, Elllie has been a rather bussy boy lol. So how do I tell if my eggs are dead? Any help would be much appreciated.

How cold is the water the eggs are in? Usually dead eggs will mold over and look fuzzy.

Normally between 14-17 days (in my experience.)

I have eggs which are at about 15 days now, but no where near close to hatching

The Key is in water temps.
Colder temps (like here in melbourne) will cause slower development.
Say if you were in Darwin (not that axies are legal there, pure example) where its warmer they would grow quicker.

Hope that helps

Thanks for that, im in NZ, so it is cold, but they are inside, in a seprate tank in lounge with the fire going, Ive notticed to that they have little bits of furry things on the eggs (kinda like algee? mold).

If they are fuzzy then they are dead. Those need to be seperated to prevent the fungus from spreading.

Yeah they do look fuzzy:(. What did I do wrong? I put them in a tank alone, had a air stone in etc....

You probably didn't do anything wrong. Some eggs just won't survive. Are all of them moldy?

Yes by the looks of it, I think my girl is preggys again, if so what can i do next time around to stop them dying?:confused:

How cold is the water that the eggs are sitting in? Do the eggs look sort of furry or dusty....when I raised some eggs a while ago, the ones that took longer to hatch seemed to be slightly sticky. These would get all sorts of things stuck to them like daphnia , sand etc.

Hi
Have a good look and see if they are moving at all.
Have you been changing the water.
I agree with bellabelloo as some of mine seemed to collect bits on them and they still hatched out ok

Mel

Hi Cola,

It sounds like the water fouled, its likely one or more died and were left in the tank where the fungus has spread, with eggs you need to do regular water changes and remove any eggs that have become cloudy or fuzzy.

Cool ok, I will do that next time round, how often should I change the water? Do i use the stuff to remove the bad stuff from water? Also with the last lot I had a air stone going, is this ok to use?
Thanks Guys and Girls
xoxox;)

If it is a small container, you don't want to use an airstone, as it may batter the eggs. Yes, you should use water with dechlorinator added. And just an open (no lid) container of shallow water is fine. You can also get one of those net containers people use for baby fish, which just floats the eggs in the parents tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back