How do i tell the gender of my axie??

Ashlie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Ashlie
The pictures are of my beautiful juvinile axolotl. I bought it at the end of may as a baby, but i dont really know how old it is....

Her name is Guineviere.... that is... assuming she is actually a girl. HOW DO YOU TELL????
I would like to know, because i dont want her/him growing up with a complex about his/her gender. Would love some info... Thanks.

Attachments

• Image009.jpg
    Image009.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 463
  • Image008.jpg
    Image008.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 525
Axolotls are unable to be sexed until they have reached maturity and for some this can take up to 18 months or even more. My axie is about 8 months and still hasn't matured yet. However, in the mean time I've been referring to her as a she. Simply because I don't want to call her an 'it'. I've named her Fumi, but if it turns out that she's really a boy, then 'he' will be called Fu. Simple enough. And if it turns out that they are boys, then I don't think they'll mind having been referred to as girls. Although they have plenty of time to sit and think, I doubt that they worry about that sort of thing much. ;)

They don't come when called anyway. They lack ears.

It's a good job they have no ears, because, while about half the people that see mine say, "Ahhh, aren't they cute." the other half invariably say, "Oooh, aren't they weird.". If they had ears they would need thicker skin for sure.

Guineviere looks lovely Ashlie. I have already decided if Kylie, my golden albino and Mike, my olive turn out to have the wrong names, it's tough. One of the funniest things I've read in a while was reading on these pages about some babies and their dad, Daisy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back