Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls together?

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
I heard that Axolotls shouldn't be kept together unless they're adults. Or, what size should they be, in order to be kept together? What about tank size? If there is more room for them to stay away from each other, then can you put them together when they are little? The ones I would be getting would be about 4 or 5". My tank is 20g and 30 1/2" long. Also, wild types are more aggressive, so should they defiantly be kept alone? I was thinking of a leucistic and a wild, but I wanted to check first. Thanks.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
They can be kept together at any age, it's just that youngsters are more likely to take a chunk out of each other! With a tank with plenty of room and hiding places this shouldn't be too much of a problem. I have heard that wildtypes are more aggressive, but not to the extent that they should be kept in solitary confinement!

I would go ahead with getting the two you want, in that size tank with lots of hides they should be fine. If you make sure you feed them at seperate ends you're less likely to have any problems with aggression.

Also make sure you're ready with the right kind of food and a cycled tank (if possible), it will make a much better enviroment for your axies.

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
Thanks for replying!!! I will defiantly have a ready tank before I buy them!

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
I don't have alot of experience with axolotls, but I have noticed that my wild-types seem to be more bitey, maybe even aggressive. I have had a bit of a problem with my three wild-types although they still are quite young. The major problem is size different more than anything. It isn't much of a difference but its still there. When moving to a larger tank, with more hides and more feedings I did see a drop in nips. With this being said my are juvies and are hungry hungry hippos. They come to the surface as I walk in and sit there staring me down. They seem to strike at anything that moves or smells good :rolleyes:.

I would think (as stated above) with older axolotls in a bigger tank should be fine if fed well.

Mitch

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mitch,

Tank dividers are your friends. If aggression persists, it might be useful to get a tank divider. If the size difference between the axies is too huge, it would be a significant factor in the aggression. Those axies will be best housed alone until they are of similar sizes.

Cheers.

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Thanks Rayson. I have had them separated for sometime now because of the aggression, just didn't want to risk any missing limbs. Funny thing is the bigger one keeps increasing in size much faster than the others... it will be awhile before the others catch up! lol

Mitch

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Mitch,

You willalso find that as they move into the adult stage of life they will become less aggressive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!